• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicago Foie Gras is Legal Again

Pebs

Does this mean that chef Trotter now has to eat chef Tramonto's liver?  or was it the other way around....

With some chianti and favas? :raz:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

One can only hope that Hot Doug's takes this opportunity to goose (pun fully intended) Joe Moore by hosing something like a week-long foie-dog exraviganza.

I certainly hope that Hot Doug's puts the Joe Moore back on the menu. That was a delish dog!

S. Cue

• 3 weeks later...

Even though I was lucky enough to get some "free" foie on my last trip to Chicago, I'm wondering what restaurants are really going all-out with the ingredient since the ban has been lifted. I want to get my foie on. Bigtime. Any suggestions?

Even though I was lucky enough to get some "free" foie on my last trip to Chicago, I'm wondering what restaurants are really going all-out with the ingredient since the ban has been lifted.  I want to get my foie on.  Bigtime.  Any suggestions?

Sweets & Savories hosted a special foie gras dinner on May 22 (I couldn't be there :angry: ) for $75 pp. (I haven't seen any reports here or on LTH yet. Anyone...?) Chef Richards is pretty accommodating, so I'm wondering he'd put together a foie tasting menu if you and perhaps three others request it far enough in advance. Worth a try...

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Well, I am personally happy to see the ban reversed. Bring on the foie! Any ideas where I can find some foie-tastic menus are well appreciated. (I won't probably have enough fellow foie-gulleters with me for the Sweets and Savories idea, but thanks Alex!)

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone..I wanted to let everyone know about a Foie Gras Wine Dinner at Le Lan on Tuesday the 9th of September. Below is the menu:

Foie Gras Torchon

Tuna, Watermelon, Seaweed Salad, Soy-Balsamic

Seared Foie Gras

Bay Scallops, Pea Shoots, Yuzu-Truffle Vinaigrette

Foie Gras Dumplings

Tea Smoked Quail, Poached Figs, Foie Gras Sauce

Foie Gras Crème Brulee Berries

Also does anyone know of a steakhouse in Chicago that puts seared foie on the steak. I had it at Prime 112 in South Beach and it is the right way to eat a steak...I can only say WOW! If you know of one please let me know...I am craving it big time!

Hi everyone..I wanted to let everyone know about a Foie Gras Wine Dinner at Le Lan on Tuesday the 9th of September.  Below is the menu:

Foie Gras Torchon

Tuna, Watermelon, Seaweed Salad, Soy-Balsamic

Seared Foie Gras

Bay Scallops, Pea Shoots, Yuzu-Truffle Vinaigrette

Foie Gras Dumplings

Tea Smoked Quail, Poached Figs, Foie Gras Sauce

Foie Gras Crème Brulee Berries

Also does anyone know of a steakhouse in Chicago that puts seared foie on the steak.  I had it at Prime 112 in South Beach and it is the right way to eat a steak...I can only say WOW!  If you know of one please let me know...I am craving it big time!

David Burke's Primehouse has foie gras on the appetizer menu and offers a foie gras and truffle sauce for their steaks, so I suspect they can prepare the combo however you like.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer