• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken confit by-product

helenas

I made a quick chicken confit this Sunday.

Here is an idea of the recipe:

curing chicken thighs for an hour or so straight in the baking dish that holds thighs snugly;

baking them covered in 325F for an hour skin down;

baking them covered in 325F for an hour skin up;

roasting them in 450F for 20 minutes or so skin up until skin is browned and crackling.

The end result is divine.

Now here is my question about this thing that is left after confiting. There is a layer of fat and whatever other pan juices. It's really a pity to throw this away. But how can i use this stuff?

Thank you.

Quick search. From Emeril:

" Pick the meat from the bones and place it in a

stoneware container. Cover the meat with some of the strained fat, making

a 1/4-inch layer. The chicken confit can be stored in the refrigerator for

up to one month. The excess oil can be stored in an

airtight container in the refrigerator and used like butter for cooking.

The tinge of chicken taste in the oil is wonderful and you can use the oil

to roast potatoes, cook green beans, and pan-fry veal."

I made a quick chicken confit this Sunday.

I thought a confit consists of long, low heat cooking of items submerged in oil. Helena's description sounds like baked chicken legs rather than a confit. Am I missing something?

I thought a confit consists of long, low heat cooking of items submerged in oil. Helena's description sounds like baked chicken legs rather than a confit. Am I missing something?

That's what I thought (except for the oil) but I didn't want to step on any feet. Here also from Emeril -

"Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.

Remove the chicken from the refrigerator. Remove the

garlic, bay leaves, thyme, and chicken fat and reserve. Rinse the chicken

with cool water, rubbing off some of the salt and pepper. Pat dry with

paper towels. Put the reserved garlic, bay leaves, thyme, and

chicken fat in the bottom of an enameled cast-iron pot. Sprinkle evenly

with the peppercorns and salt. Lay the chicken on top, skin side down.

Add the olive oil. Cover and bake for 12 to 14 hours, or until the meat

pulls away from the bone."

I don't know anything about Emeril other than having heard his name. I just did a Google search on chicken confit and his seemed fairly complete.

Here's the whole recipe -

Emeril's Chicken Confit

Edit: As I've said on other threads, I cook with a wood range during the winter. It's something I began doing in 1968. In this case, the cooking at 200 degrees for 12-14 hours probably arose from the days when more people cooked with wood and probably in brick ovens. This would have been something that slowly cooked overnight as the oven cooled down and there was no other need for it.

Even if it's only chicken fat, no oil, you can keep it in the fridge and use it for cooking. Not as tasty as duck or goose fat, but pretty good. I assume it's been in the fridge since Sunday, right? Scrape the fat from the congealed juices, put it in a saucepan, and heat it until it boils gently. Chicken fat can have lot of water in it, which can cause it to go bad. So this is a lot like making clarified butter. Once the bubbling stops, pour it (very carefully -- it's HOT) into a clean jar, cap it, and let it cool down some. Then refrigerate. Use to make sauces, to sauté -- waste not, want not. :rolleyes:

The juices are good to add to stocks and soups, or to chicken sautés to make a pan sauce. But these you have to freeze to keep.

Forgive me if I'm telling you what you already know. :sad:

You can save your leftover duck fat from a duck confit and use it to confit your next batch. I don't see why you couldn't do this with leftover fat from chicken confit, unless you're sick of chicken confit that is.

• Similar Content

• By daniel123456789876543
      I have been making pancetta for the first time. I have experience with the curing process doing things like bacon and cold smoked salmon in the past but this is the first time I have ever hanged anything.

After a week of curing it has had 11 days  hanging so far (I was planning on taking it to 28 days hanging) Although I foolishly forgot to weigh it. 
      It smells really good like some awesome salami and the outer rim of the pancetta looks lovely and rich and dark.
      It was a recipe by Kuhlman in one of their charcuterie books.
      But when I inspected it today it had the mould growing on it as in the pics below. I have since scrubbed the mould off with white wine vinegar and returned it to the cellar. Is it wise to continue?

Daniel

• By liuzhou
      Following my posting a supermarket bought roast rabbit in the Dinner topic, @Anna N expressed her surprise at my local supermarkets selling such things just like in the west supermarkets sell rotisserie chickens. I promised to photograph the pre-cooked food round these parts.

I can't identify them all, so have fun guessing!

Rabbit

Chicken x 2

Duck

Chicken feet

Duck Feet

Pig's Ear

Pork Intestine Rolls

Stewed River Snails

Stewed Duck Feet (often served with the snails above)

Beef

Pork

Beijing  Duck gets its own counter.

More pre-cooked food to come. Apologies for some bady lit images - I guess the designers didn't figure on nosy foreigners inspecting the goods and disseminating pictures worldwide.
    • By DanM
      Normally, the local market has bresaola in tissue paper thin slices. Today they also had packages in small dice, probably the leftover ends, bits and pieces. Any thoughts on how to enjoy them, besides nibbling on it? 

Thank you!
    • By kayb
      Linguine with Squash, Goat Cheese and Bacon
      Serves 4 as Main Dishor 6 as Side.
      I stumbled on this while looking for recipes with goat cheese. It's from Real Simple (and it is!). I couldn't imagine the combination of flavors, but it was wonderful.

6 slices bacon
      1 2- to 2 ½-pound butternut squash—peeled, seeded, and diced (4 to 5 cups)
      2 cloves garlic, minced
      1-1/2 c chicken broth
      1 tsp kosher salt
      4 oz soft goat cheese, crumbled
      1 lb linguine, cooked
      1 T olive oil
      2 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 5 minutes. Drain on a paper towel, then crumble or break into pieces; set aside. Drain all but about 2 tablespoons of the bacon fat from the skillet. Add the squash and garlic to the skillet and sauté over medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the broth and salt. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the squash is cooked through and softened, 20 to 25 minutes. Add half the goat cheese and stir well to combine. Place the cooked linguine in a large bowl. Stir the sauce into the linguine and toss well to coat. Drizzle with the olive oil and add the reserved bacon, the remaining goat cheese, and the pepper. Serve immediately.
      Keywords: Main Dish, Easy, Vegetables, Dinner
      ( RG2158 )
    • By phatj
      Duck Leg Confit Potstickers
      Serves 4 as Appetizer.
      These are seriously decadent potstickers.
      I devised this recipe as part of a Duck Three Ways dinner wherein over the course of three days I dismantled a whole duck using various parts for various things, including rendering fat, making stock and confiting the legs. If you're super-ambitious and do it my way, you'll have duck stock and duck fat on hand as this recipe calls for; otherwise, substitute chicken stock and peanut oil or whatever you have on hand.

2 confited duck legs, bones discarded and meat shredded
      2 c sliced shiitake caps
      1/2 c sliced scallions
      splash fish sauce
      1 tsp grated fresh ginger
      1 tsp grated fresh garlic
      pinch Five Spice powder
      pot sticker wrappers
      3 c duck stock
      3 T duck fat

1. Saute shiitakes in duck fat over high heat until most liquid has evaporated and they are beginning to brown.
      Meanwhile, reduce about 1 C duck stock in a small saucepan over medium heat until it's almost syrupy in consistency and tastes sweet.
      Also, warm a couple of cups of unreduced duck stock over low heat in another saucepan.
      2. Combine mushrooms, duck meat, scallions, fish sauce, ginger, garlic and Five Spice powder in a bowl.
      3. Place a teaspoon or so of the duck mixture in the center of a potsticker wrapper; wet half of the edge with water and seal, pinching and pleating one side.
      If you prepare more potstickers than you're going to want to eat, they can be frozen on cookie sheets then put into freezer bags for later.
      4. When all potstickers are sealed, heat a flat-bottomed pan over medium-high heat, melt enough duck fat to thinly cover the bottom, then add the potstickers.
      5. Cook undisturbed until the bottoms are browned, 3-5 minutes, then enough unreduced duck stock to cover the bottom of the pan about 1/2 inch deep and cover the pan.
      6. Cook until most liquid is absorbed, then uncover and cook until remaining liquid evaporates.
      While potstickers are cooking, make a dipping sauce by combining the reduced duck stock 1:1 with soy sauce, then adding a little rice vinegar, brown sugar (if the duck stock isn't sweet enough), and sesame oil.
      Serve potstickers immediately when done.
      Keywords: Hors d'oeuvre, Appetizer, Intermediate, Duck, Dinner, Chinese
      ( RG2052 )