• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ghormeh Sabzi - Persian stew

Recently I have been sampling our city's Persian restaurants and found I like the stews ghormeh sabzi and gheymeh and want to try the former at home. I've gathered all the ingredients but have a question about the meats. I've found the meat in the dish a bit disappointing. I'd guess the places I've had it are using select grade round - I would tend to use chuck or brisket in a stew and none of the recipes I've found suggest a cut to be used.

Anyone know what the cut should be? And how about the use of lamb? Some on-line sources suggest lamb or beef. How about goat?

Any other tips will be appreciated too.

Recently I have been sampling our city's Persian restaurants and found I like the stews ghormeh sabzi and gheymeh and want to try the former at home.  I've gathered all the ingredients but have a question about the meats.  I've found the meat in the dish a bit disappointing.  I'd guess the places I've had it are using select grade round - I would tend to use chuck or brisket in a stew and none of the recipes I've found suggest a cut to be used.

Anyone know what the cut should be?  And how about the use of lamb?  Some on-line sources suggest lamb or beef.  How about goat?

Any other tips will be appreciated too.

Beef shanks cut up into cubes are best, not too dry and not too stringy.

Thanks for the recs, they both sound good to me.

I've just had this at a couple of our quick casual places and was very impressed with one of them, haven't tried it yet at either of our white tablecloth Persian places but expecting great things and will try it at home.

Bruce

• 9 months later...