• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

flat bread supplier in london

hey everyone, i am looking to source a rustic flatbread in london, pitta is too flat, foccacia generally too thick, the closest i have got is when i made my own naan but i don't want naan, i know i am being awkward,

any ideas?

matt

Matt Christmas.

If there is a focaccia you like, maybe you can talk to the bakery about making some thinner. If you have a standing order, it shouldn't be too much trouble for them to make a few different. How thick do you want it?

I'm not sure how rustic you'd call it, but there are several Turkish bakeries on Stoke Newington High St making something like this.  It's about 2cm thick though.

Is it the turkish bread with the really open texture? We used to buy this a lot in Sydney and it is really good for toast or griddled for bruscetta as it crisps up really well. I wouild love to find some more.

I find a a lot of british breads, including british version of continental breads, quite poor. Usually thre texture is wrong, too dense, not enough air in the mix. Is this a artifact of industrial production?

I'm not sure how rustic you'd call it, but there are several Turkish bakeries on Stoke Newington High St making something like this.  It's about 2cm thick though.

Is it the turkish bread with the really open texture? We used to buy this a lot in Sydney and it is really good for toast or griddled for bruscetta as it crisps up really well. I wouild love to find some more.

Yes it is quite an open texture. The loaves are oval shaped - a bit like a naan, but slightly bigger.

There are at least two bakeries within 200 or 300m of each other and as well as selling over the counter, they presumably supply some of the many local Turkish restaurants.

I can get some and post photos if you'd like :smile:

Yes it is quite an open texture. The loaves are oval shaped - a bit like a naan, but slightly bigger.

There are at least two bakeries within 200 or 300m of each other and as well as selling over the counter, they presumably supply some of the many local Turkish restaurants.

I can get some and post photos if you'd like :smile:

If your not to close to Green Lanes which is where you will find the best Turkish bakers, any branch of TFC (Turkish Food Centre) will also have pide,baked on the premises and pretty decent.(there are branches in Lewisham,Dalston and elsewhere).

gethin

Yes it is quite an open texture.  The loaves are oval shaped - a bit like a naan, but slightly bigger.

I can get some and post photos if you'd like  :smile:

Sounds like they're supplying the Turkish convenience shops down around Hoxton too.

I find a a lot of british breads, including british version of continental breads, quite poor. Usually thre texture is wrong, too dense, not enough air in the mix. Is this a artifact of industrial production?

I'm in Oz twice a year and the pide there is defintely my favourite everyday bread.... and re bread in the UK totally agree Phil, in general the bread in the UK is execrable and the very small pockets of reasonable stuff are miles and miles from me...lucky I can DIY it esp. using the 'no knead' method..thanks to eG...