• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

French Polynesia: Moorea & Bora Bora

Bloody Mary's on Bora Bora comes to mind first. It's been a long time, but I honeymooned on Bora Bora and Moorea. The fresh baguettes everyday were memorable, they have small boxes in front of the homes on Bora Bora where the bread is delivered fresh everyday. On Moorea, we stayed mostly on the resort (Club Med) but do not miss the local ice cream and you will NEVER, NEVER have a better pineapple than a tiny ripe Tahitian pineapple. Oh, and grilled lambchops were served with breakfast, lunch and dinner along with french fries, go figure.

Edited by lemniscate (log)

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks - anyone else have some more insight and advice?

Shoot, this is probably way too late...but anyway - we just got back from FP. Stayed at Moorea Pearl. Nearby the Pearl:

1. Caramelines for pastry and sandwiches - very good and probably the most economical meal you will eat there (what I love about FP - there is gruyere on EVERYTHING)

2. Le Sud - great pizza - I had the creme fraiche, potatoes, onion, olive and bacon. Very good.

3. Te Honu Iti - for a nice meal out. Very good. And you get to watch stingrays swim by while you eat. I had Mahi Mahi with vanilla sauce. My husband had a filet. Both were outstanding.

Bora Bora:

1. Villa Mahana - outstanding. One of the best meals I've ever had. Make sure to reserve the top table ( it is so romantinc and also so obnoxious patrons don't ruin your fabulous meal...). Again, I had fish with vanilla sauce and my husband had filet. We started with foie gras - everything was fabulous. Cannot say enough good things about it.

2. St. James - we enjoyed our meal there. On the water, decorated a little more modern than most places.

3. We did not eat here, but I heard great things about Matira Restaurant.

4. Fare Manuia - our meal was good, but not excellent here.

Enjoy your trip (if you haven't already gone)!