• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chufi on the road in the Southwest

The North Rim of the Grand Canyon is the place for you then. 

I was just about to chime in with exactly what lemniscate just wrote. YES to the North Rim- and Chufi, I am totally phobic about tourism and its gimmicks so I completely understand of your desire to circumnavigate the throngs and just get down to the good stuff.

You also must hit Monument Valley- Ahh. And how did the settlers ever make it west of Utah?

I am so excited that you're coming to Santa Fe! The ideas are swirling and crashing through my mind like a summer storm in the Sangre de Cristos...

I am so excited that you're coming to Santa Fe! The ideas are swirling and crashing through my mind like a summer storm in the Sangre de Cristos...

well, I don´t know what that´s like, but...

if it´s anything like all the possible itiniraries and stops and trips and hikes and drives that are going through MY mind, I don´t envy you :smile:

The GC North Rim does sound good, except it will take longer to get there, right? It´s less accessible (hence less tourists)?

I´ll try out different routes in mapquest and see what comes up.

I appreciate the brewery info. We enjoyed tastings at breweries at previous trips to the US - different from our European beers, but very good!

Even the south rim isn't really a problem crowd-wise. I am similarly crowd-averse and had no trouble getting away entirely and still enjoying the canyon. As mentioned upthread, very few people walk more than 20 meters away from where they're dropped, so if you walk another 10 meters you're essentially alone.

Can you pee in the ocean?

Chufi, I just remembered a really amazing restaurant (not fancy, but incredibly good) in Reserve (town of 387 residents). Its called Adobe Cafe. Its a brother sister team in a town that even I think is in the middle of nowhere - in fact 2 hours from my middle of no-where. They proudly boast that they have more elk than people - and that's an understatement.

Great green chile burgers and stew, but really you go for their desserts. Not patisserie, but great baking. I went in a couple of years ago and they had about 15 desserts in the case. I jokingly asked for a sampler platter and a few minutes later they produced a plate with 15 desserts, and then apologized because their trifle wasn't finished, but if I could wait an extra 10 minutes they would bring that out too. Cost: $7.50! Nice, nice folks.

If you go that route, you'll want to hit up Pie Town (to the North) and you know what they're known for. They have a pie festival sometime around when you'll be coming in (Sept 13). If you head south (toward me), there's the Catwalk which is a fun day hike into a river/creek deep canyon, and also the town old ghost town of Mogollon (muggy-yone).

• 1 month later...

here's the new and improved, fine-tuned itinerary:

Phoenix

Prescott

Sedona

Flagstaff

Grand Canyon

Kanab

Bryce Canyon

Escalante/Boulder

Torrey

Monument Valley

Kayenta

Cortez

Durango

Santa Fe (route from Durango to Santa Fe to be decided)

Silver City

Phoenix

we're skipping Zion and Moab. Based on mileage, this is a route we're comfortable with for doing in 3 weeks.

Any recommendations for these specific towns along our route? Warnings about where not to go also appreciated :biggrin:

Will you stop in Albuquerque? That is my new home in the last year... If not, maybe I can meet up with you in Santa Fe!

(I'll look for a pm so the thread can be kept more to food suggestions!) In any case, I have suggestions for Abq and Santa Fe as well!

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

And Jerome. If you're going to Sedona, you MUST also go to Jerome.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

It may be out of your way, but if you're in the area of Winslow (about 60 miles E of Flagstaff), La Posada hotel and it's restaurant are definitely worth a visit. The hotel was designed by Mary Coulter and was the last of the Harvey hotels. It used to be a favorite of Hollywood stars -- Clark Gable, Jimmy Stewart, and even FDR and Truman -- and has been lovingly restored in recent years.

www.laposada.org

NY Times did a piece on Winslow and La Posada last year, though Winslow is not quite the place made out in the article. Probably not worth the visit unless it's on your route.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/02/09/trave...ican.ready.html

Edited by Hombre (log)

When we went to Torrey, we actually picked up food in the Capitol Reef park. There is a gift shop/cafe that sells homemade pies and other food items. We also got a pie (which was quite good), and some bread, cheese, sausage and sodas from here. (Bring a pocket knife to cut it all up). We then hiked into one of the waterfolds and found a comfy rock to have a picnic on.

I like cows, too. I hold buns against them. -- Bucky Cat.

• 1 month later...

We have spent a lot of time in Santa Fe recently. Our favorite restaurants here are not typical New Mexican (I can't eat chilies), but if regional cusine isn't a priority, you might think about:

Trattoria Nostrani www.trattorianostrani.com

La Boca www.labocasantafe.com

This trip is getting nearer.  Any updates?

It is getting near... we're leaving next Saturday, Sep 20!

here's the new and updated and improved version of the itinerary:

Phoenix

Prescott

Sedona

Flagstaff

Grand Canyon

Cameron

Kanab or Page (Antelope Canyon looks enticing, but it may be too much of a detour)

Bryce

Torrey

Bluff or Blanding

Monument Valley

Durango

Santa Fe

Silver City

Tombstone

Phoenix

We've booked a couple of hotels but not all of them, and we have a day or 3 undecided so we can always stay somewhere longer or make a detour.

Can''t wait!! I'm trying to stay away from the computer as much as possible while on vacation, but I promise you all a nice big fat trip report loaded with pictures when we come back :smile:

Edited by Chufi (log)

• 2 weeks later...
This trip is getting nearer.  Any updates?

It is getting near... we're leaving next Saturday, Sep 20!

here's the new and updated and improved version of the itinerary:

Phoenix

Prescott

Sedona

Flagstaff

Grand Canyon

Cameron

Kanab or Page (Antelope Canyon looks enticing, but it may be too much of a detour)

Bryce

Torrey

Bluff or Blanding

Monument Valley

Durango

Santa Fe

Silver City

Tombstone

Phoenix

We've booked a couple of hotels but not all of them, and we have a day or 3 undecided so we can always stay somewhere longer or make a detour.

Can''t wait!! I'm trying to stay away from the computer as much as possible while on vacation, but I promise you all a nice big fat trip report loaded with pictures when we come back :smile:

What? No tucson?

• 1 month later...