• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Savor Craft Beer

I'll be in DC for the Savor Craft Beer fest this weekend and being a first timer to the area, need some help on where to eat. I'm a chef who appreciates local, inexpensive, non-tourist places, preferably with a real emphasis on beer over wine. Cuisine is not important. The event is at the Mellon auditorium and am staying at the Liaison Capitol Hill. Walking distance is a must! Any recs or links would be appreciated!

Thanks!

RM

I was going to say Beck, as well, but you also might want to stroll a few blocks from the Foggy Bottom metro to Pizzaria/Birarria Paradiso. Opinions on the pizza vary somewhat but the beer cellar is well regarded. Make sure you go to the one on M Street, not the one on P Street, which does not have the same beer program.

Also, either the Brickskeller (Dupont Circle Metro) or RFD (Metro Center) can offer a massive variety of beers. No one ever went to either place for the food, I think, but any beer lover should consider a pilgrimage to The Brick, which was -- at one point -- in the Guinness Book for its beer selection and was a big, early backer of the craft movement. Fact, you could have a couple of beers there and then re-acquire your thirst walking down to Paradiso.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I'll be in DC for the Savor Craft Beer fest this weekend and being a first timer to the area, need some help on where to eat.  I'm a chef who appreciates local, inexpensive, non-tourist places, preferably with a real emphasis on beer over wine.  Cuisine is not important.  The event is at the Mellon auditorium and am staying at the Liaison Capitol Hill.  Walking distance is a must!  Any recs or links would be appreciated!

Thanks!

RM

So, where'd you go?

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

• 3 months later...
I was going to say Beck, as well, but you also might want to stroll a few blocks from the Foggy Bottom metro to Pizzaria/Birarria Paradiso.  Opinions on the pizza vary somewhat but the beer cellar is well regarded.  Make sure you go to the one on M Street, not the one on P Street, which does not have the same beer program. 

Also, either the Brickskeller (Dupont Circle Metro) or RFD (Metro Center) can offer a massive variety of beers.  No one ever went to either place for the food, I think, but any beer lover should consider a pilgrimage to The Brick, which was -- at one point -- in the Guinness Book for its beer selection and was a big, early backer of the craft movement.  Fact, you could have a couple of beers there and then re-acquire your thirst walking down to Paradiso.

The Brick Skellar has some good food. It's definitely not gourment, but they have perogies and their mussels are pretty good.

The worst part about that place though is that half the beers I want to try are usually out. I tend to stick to the Belgium beers though. My favorite from last trip was Kasteel Donker.