• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sorghum: Any unique uses?

gfron1

what is bourbon sorghum? is it flavored sorghum?

there are tons of uses for sorghum; basically use it instead of honey/maple syrup/corn syrup. I really like using it for sticky buns.

"Godspeed all the bakers at dawn... may they all cut their thumbs and bleed into their buns til they melt away..."

use it in a home made ginger bread (cake style) (instead of molasses) made with lots of fresh grated ginger then drizzle it again on top when it is done..to die for

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I'll third the gingerbread. This was a traditional rural southern treat that my father referred to as "syrup bread" - probably because this and cane syrup were the primary sweeteners in the household at the time.

Very nice still slightly warm and dressed with fresh whipped cream.

Oatmeal type cookies. Yum.

I grew up on a farm in western Kentucky where sorghum was grown, crushed and cooked. Originally it was cooked off in open "pans" over wood fires, later in more "sanitary" closed containers. (Though much less fun for us kids.)

The gingerbread made with sorghum is indeed very good. We also had fat, soft "molasses" cookies, sweet cornmeal cakes (baked on a griddle) and sorghum oatmeal spice cake which was baked in thin layers and "filled" with apple butter or applesauce, depending on what was handy. (Note that regular cornbread was never sweetened, the griddle cakes were entirely different in texture as well as taste.)

I haven't made the latter for years, mostly because I developed Type II diabetes and it is densely packed with calories and sugar.

Sorghum mashed with soft butter was a favorite spread for everything from biscuits to griddle muffins (what we now call "English" muffins.)

The flavor of sorghum is distinctive.

One of my earliest memories, probably when I was three or so, was riding my little tricycle around the breakfast table and having a piece of biscuit with sorghum and butter popped into my mouth as I passed my grandpa's chair. (The tricycle was blue. I can also remember my grandma scolding my grandpa for "spoiling" that child!)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I almost forgot !!! that particular brand of sorgum makes a really good caramel corn and granola ...

just replace the molasses in a traditional recipe for either one

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet