• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

P.F. Chang's China Bistro

Nutley Resident

• 4 weeks later...

I personnally don't like the food or the prices. You'll get a better and cheaper meal at a real chinese place. The westernized style of PF Chang's just doesn't suite me. And it has nothing to do with it being a chain or anything; I happen to like a lot of chains where the turnover is high and the food is kept fresh. I just don't like the food there.

But please don't be discouraged from enjoying the food if you really do! Don't let some pretentious nuts that hate restaurant chains to tell you what to like and not like!

Edited by phan1 (log)

I've been to PFChang's many times and in several cities, but absolutely never by myself. It's always a place where "the group" wants to go.

So, okay, fine. I go and enjoy it, but first, I have to drop the mindset that I'm actually going for Chinese food.

And as for what to order, I find the appetizers much better than the main courses. We always get the lettuce wraps to share for the appetizer. And then I make it clear that I'm going to order some of the appetizer dumplings (potstickers) and a bowl of steamed rice for my dinner. Most of the dumplings are quite good and you can order an assortment. I've never found a main there that I much care for, though.

PFChang's is never my suggestion, but hey, fun is where you find it, eh? I'd rather go to PFChang's with my friends than not go at all.

And that's about all I can say for it.

ETA: There used to be a very popular Polynesian-themed chain of restaurants called Trader Vic's. It was just a kind of fun Disneyesque atmosphere. Nobody was under any illusion that you were eating the same sort of food you might get were you in the actual Polynesia, but it was harmless amusement.

I consider PFChang's to be similar. A sort of 'Trader Chang's' if you will.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Trader Vic's still exists. In fact, a recently opened one in my area is pretty much right across the street from a PF Changs.

We went there out of morbid curiosity. I remember liking it when I was about 12, mostly for the atmosphere, but as an adult, I found it kind of insultingly expensive for mediocre, boring after a few bites food. The cocktails were the best thing about the place, and even then, ehh.

I've only had boiled (or steamed) vegetable dumplings at PF Changs a couple of years ago after the dust settled from their high-impact opening. Not awful, but far from remarkable. I haven't been back since the first attempt.

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please

Trader Vic's still exists. In fact, a recently opened one in my area is pretty much right across the street from a PF Changs.

We went there out of morbid curiosity. I remember liking it when I was about 12, mostly for the atmosphere, but as an adult, I found it kind of insultingly expensive for mediocre, boring after a few bites food. The cocktails were the best thing about the place, and even then, ehh.

I went to Trader Vic's in the Plaza Hotel many years ago. Do the cocktails still have little umbrellas in them?

Ilene

I think that depends on the drink, but I was so unexcited by the food that I'm pretty sure that anything which got in the way of my drink was promptly set aside and forgotten.

I went to Trader Vic's in the Plaza Hotel many years ago. Do the cocktails still have little umbrellas in them?

Jason Truesdell

Blog: Pursuing My Passions

Take me to your ryokan, please