• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sourcing Sweetbreads

Does anyone have any experience procuring sweetbreads in the Orange County area? I'm willing to travel a distance if it's worth it, so LA and San Diego counties are both options. I've also been trying to source other cuts like pork belly, veal/beef cheeks and offal. I've gone to some Asian markets like 99 Ranch and I wasn't thrilled with the visible quality, but I might need to check back if anyone has had other experiences with their meats. 99 Ranch had pork belly, but it was precut into thin slices. I've also checked with Whole Foods and they said they can get me Lamb Sweetbreads from New Zealand, but that it would take about 6 weeks. Any help would be appreciated!

What about Latino markets/butchers?

Yeah, I've tried a few carniceria's around the Orange/Anaheim area to no avail. I have had better luck getting different cuts of pork at carniceria's (no pork belly, though), so maybe I should continue searching. If you or anyone else know of any carniceria's that specifically carry sweetbreads, let me know. Thanks!

Alex -- This is not something I know a lot about. However, in downtown LA, I've seen all kinds of things behind the butcher cases at Grand Central Market. I also wonder if any of the butchers at LA's "original" Farmer's Market (3rd & Fairfax) could help you. Sorry, that's about the best I can do. Good luck and let us know if/when you're successful in your search.

Jody

So long and thanks for all the fish.