• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

White Chocolate

Jean Blanchard

I use (and like) Michel Cluizel's white chocolate. But I can't claim to have done any sort of cross-chocolate tasting or testing - since I use the rest of the Cluizel line, it only makes sense to get my white from them too. But I do quite like it. It's tricky to use for molding and even worse for dipping, however, because it's a very viscous chocolate. You definitely want to add cocoa butter for those applications. But I expect it would perform quite well in baking applications, etc.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Thanks, Tammy.  Do you buy it on-line?  I don't remember seeing it in the stores but I haven't done a search yet.

I buy in bulk directly from the company. But Chocosphere has it: http://chocosphere.com/cgi-bin/webstore/web_store.cgi

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

I like El Rey - but I have had trouble with it melting smoothly, so it depends on what you are going to do with it. Cluizel is nice but taste doesn't justify the price with their white (v. some of the dark). I'm currently using Callebaut and have been happy with taste (although its not my favorite tasting), meltability and price.

I like El Rey - but I have had trouble with it melting smoothly, so it depends on what you are going to do with it.  Cluizel is nice but taste doesn't justify the price with their white (v. some of the dark).  I'm currently using Callebaut and have been happy with taste (although its not my favorite tasting), meltability and price.

I think you make a good point - I would tend to agree that the differences between whites are not as commensurate with price points as with darks.

Tammy's Tastings

Dinner for 40

There is one line in my way of thinking - that is some, when you put a big wad in your mouth (which I do regularly), have a chemically mouthfeel and somewhat tinny taste. Others don't. To me, that becomes the line between good and bad. But, once on the good side of the line, they're all pretty good.

Valrhona is my favorite when I want the white chocolate flavor in a dessert or chocolate

Straight, I like El Rey. But to me, it has a different character than other white chocolates.

Another vote for El Rey. It actually has a bit of chocolate flavor. I had heard or read that they don't use deodorized cocoa butter, giving it that extra chocolate goodness. Anyone know if that is true?

Another vote for El Rey.  It actually has a bit of chocolate flavor.  I had heard or read that they don't use deodorized cocoa butter, giving it that extra chocolate goodness.  Anyone know if that is true?

Yes, it is. Click my link above (second post), to Chocosphere, and the info is there.

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

Lindt and El Rey are my favorites. I don't like Callebaut or Ghirardhelli's product. Believe it or not, Walmart has a store-brand white chocolate chip which, for the price, are good. One of my favorite things to make with it is 'white chocolate dream bars' with lots of orange zest added to the recipe.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I like El Rey - but I have had trouble with it melting smoothly, so it depends on what you are going to do with it.  Cluizel is nice but taste doesn't justify the price with their white (v. some of the dark).  I'm currently using Callebaut and have been happy with taste (although its not my favorite tasting), meltability and price.

I think you make a good point - I would tend to agree that the differences between whites are not as commensurate with price points as with darks.

Definitely agree. I couldn't justify to myself spending ~$33 per kilo on Valrhona Ivoire, for example.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Lindt and El Rey are my favorites. I don't like Callebaut or Ghirardhelli's product. Believe it or not, Walmart has a store-brand white chocolate chip which, for the price, are good. One of my favorite things to make with it is 'white chocolate dream bars' with lots of orange zest added to the recipe.

I bought those white chips at Wal*Mart last week for 1.58. I made some white choc. macadamia blondies( in mini muffin tins) and they were awesome. I went back today and bought another bag of those chips. The first ingredient is Cocoa Butter. Pretty darn good for the price. ( Please, Please dont give me a hard time for shopping at Wal*Mart. Times are tough)

I'm a person that has worked with a LOT of white chocolate. I mean a LOT. Probably more than most pastry chefs, because I use it so much for decorating purposes. I use it to make modeling chocolate, I use it to dip things, I use it for piping and for creating flat chocolate art pieces. I also use it to make white chocolate mousse, etc.

Amazingly, the chocolate I like best, is Guittard's White Satin Ribbon. It tastes great. It melts great. It makes great modeling chocolate. It's great for piping. I think the stuff is magical. If they ever stop making it, I will surely freak out.

It comes in 50 lb cases of "ribbon" (chunks), and where I live, it isn't that easy to come by. Luckily, my supplier, Puratos, carries it. The bar that Guittard makes that is also called "White Satin" is NOT the same thing so be warned.

It IS a bit viscous, so when I melt it to pipe or dip, I add a bit of canola oil to it and it's all good.

I've used other brands in my various jobs (Callebaut, El Rey, Felchlin, Valrhona), but I've always come back to Guittard's White Satin Ribbon.....I love the stuff.

I know I probably sound like shill, but I'm not. I tend not to be brand loyal......but for this stuff, I definitely am. :raz:

One of my favorite things to make with it is 'white chocolate dream bars' with lots of orange zest added to the recipe.

Care to share a recipe?

Sure. Here's the recipe. I usually bake it in an 8x8, for maybe 40-45 minutes. I leave out the semisweet chunks, and rub about a tablespoon or so of fine zest into the sugar with my fingers.

Another vote for El Rey (Icoa) here too. I've tried Callebaut which is smooth, and Guittard which I find too sweet for my palette (though I don't remember exactly which Guittard white I tried), but I just like the faint cocoa notes in the El Rey.

I don't use white chocolate much in desserts myself, but I do really like the Triple Chocolate Terrine, from Ann Amernick's "The Art of the Dessert", which uses white, milk, and dark in individual layers.