• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frome, Somerset - culinary desert?

Have moved slightly away from my base for the last 4 years (between Shepton Mallet and Wells) to Frome. Oh. It's closer to Bath (yippee - handbag shopping) but it seems to have nowhere brilliant to eat.

We went to the Mill at Rode on Friday night. Oh dear. Style over substance which is a shame because it's in a great spot on the river. Bland, boring food. Bland, boring food which cost us £41.

We have been twice to Bruton House which is lovely - it is like eating great food in someone's dining room and they are brilliantly friendly and it is lovely (have I said that?) but it does cost us about £80 and that is with one of us not drinking.

All I am asking for is somewhere to have a good evening meal out for not too much money within 5/10/15 minutes of BA11. Or, if anyone is wavering about opening such an establishment near me soon PLEASE DO. And I promise I will frequent it.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas.

Sarah

You're really not all that far from Cheltenham, so I can recommend Le Champignon Sauvage.

But, if you really want to be close to Bath, i think that Martin blunos' place is quite near by or at least was, i can't find anything about it on the internet. Someone will have to clarify that.

You're really not all that far from Cheltenham, so I can recommend Le Champignon Sauvage.

But, if you really want to be close to Bath, i think that Martin blunos' place is quite near by or at least was, i can't find anything about it on the internet. Someone will have to clarify that.

Article and info on The Reservoir here

http://www.morningadvertiser.co.uk/news_de...categoryid=9007

http://www.allium.uk.net

http://alliumfood.wordpress.com/ the alliumfood blog

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming - Whey hey what a ride!!!, "

Sarah Poli, Firenze, Kibworth Beauchamp

Have moved slightly away from my base for the last 4 years (between Shepton Mallet and Wells) to Frome.  Oh.  It's closer to Bath (yippee - handbag shopping) but it seems to have nowhere brilliant to eat.

We went to the Mill at Rode on Friday night.  Oh dear.  Style over substance which is a shame because it's in a great spot on the river.  Bland, boring food.  Bland, boring food which cost us £41.

We have been twice to Bruton House which is lovely - it is like eating great food in someone's dining room and they are brilliantly friendly and it is lovely (have I said that?) but it does cost us about £80 and that is with one of us not drinking.

All I am asking for is somewhere to have a good evening meal out for not too much money within 5/10/15 minutes of BA11.  Or, if anyone is wavering about opening such an establishment near me soon PLEASE DO.  And I promise I will frequent it.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any ideas.

Sarah

Sarah - I though I had replied - must have pressed the wrong key.

The Wheatsheaf at Combe Hay is pretty good, maybe not to far to trek if you cut through Wellow. It is a refurbished pub with distinct Michelin star aspirations (it is already rates a rising star). We ate there on Friday and had a good meal, we have eaten there three times and really enjoyed 2 out of 3 meals. Cost is approx £80 for two (passenger and driver - so not lots of booze). The owners are really friendly, and they are trying hard, with nice little touches to the service.

We have also tried The Talbot Inn in Mells a couple of times, the first meal was good, but the second was pretty poor. On balance we have abandoned it - a shames because it has many of the qualities that should make it good.

In Bath you should try The White Hart (my local) in Widcombe, it is still a good pub, even though it is 90% food now. The cooking is good, with an interesting menu that changes frequently, mains are in the £12 range, so the food is well priced although the wine mark-up are gruesome (good Buttcombe).

Quite a lot of openings in Bath over the last few months - we haven't caught up with many yet, but have enjoyed Cassinis, had an OK meal at the Circus, and a fairly average one at Brambleys (it was their first week).

And of course there is Elisha Carter at Charlton House - which isn't far from Frome. We liked the cooking didn't enjoy the restaurant.

Thanks everyone (particularly PhilD :cool: ). Lots of ideas and no need to have too big a pocket I think. Cheltenham is a bit of a trek to be honest but Bath is do-able, particularly when they deign to open the A36 again.....

Happy. Thank you.

Sarah