• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Colorado Chocolate Festival

Desiderio

Good point! I think you are right, because people were almost surprise that we had all the flavors available, so I had the feeling that I souldnt have sample everything  :laugh: .

As for the ganache sampling I had one of my customer ( that now is in love with my products and try to promote them ) said that when he was at the booth were they were sampling ganaches he saw at least 3 times in a row people that double dipped and was disgusted so just moved on , that was my fear, people grabs huge scoops of ganache and also double dip ( not all of them but you know ).

I think I would address that by keeping the ganache out of customer reach and scooping out a tasting spoonful to hand to the customer instead of letting them help themselves.

you could also get those cheap portion cups and just pipe some ganache into each one. use a start tip so it is slightly decorative. that way, you can bring your ganaches already made in piping bags for easy portability.

Sort of like this? :biggrin:

I pipped some couverture chocolate into the candy cups; once set, starred in some ganache.

gallery_35656_2316_67058.jpg

I used this technique to sample various ganaches this winter at the Chocolate Ball and a chocolate festival at Pastaworks, a local gourmet market here in Portland.

Very nice and you can really knock out a lot of these quickly. But you do need to use them pretty much right away (within 1-2 days?) because they'll dry out and/or spoil.

Not a bad idea to bring your ganache in a piping bag all set to go, with your trays of chocolate disks in the cups. Plus, I think folks would enjoy seeing you "work."

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Good point! I think you are right, because people were almost surprise that we had all the flavors available, so I had the feeling that I souldnt have sample everything  :laugh: .

As for the ganache sampling I had one of my customer ( that now is in love with my products and try to promote them ) said that when he was at the booth were they were sampling ganaches he saw at least 3 times in a row people that double dipped and was disgusted so just moved on , that was my fear, people grabs huge scoops of ganache and also double dip ( not all of them but you know ).

I think I would address that by keeping the ganache out of customer reach and scooping out a tasting spoonful to hand to the customer instead of letting them help themselves.

you could also get those cheap portion cups and just pipe some ganache into each one. use a start tip so it is slightly decorative. that way, you can bring your ganaches already made in piping bags for easy portability.

Sort of like this? :biggrin:

I pipped some couverture chocolate into the candy cups; once set, starred in some ganache.

gallery_35656_2316_67058.jpg

I used this technique to sample various ganaches this winter at the Chocolate Ball and a chocolate festival at Pastaworks, a local gourmet market here in Portland.

Very nice and you can really knock out a lot of these quickly. But you do need to use them pretty much right away (within 1-2 days?) because they'll dry out and/or spoil.

Not a bad idea to bring your ganache in a piping bag all set to go, with your trays of chocolate disks in the cups. Plus, I think folks would enjoy seeing you "work."

Leave it to John to have already come up with a clever/fast/nice looking solution!

I have bought some good 5 lb boxes with plastic trays that were absolutely a great investment, because made the transportation so easy , and also the storing thru the production.

Do you have a link anywhere to the 5 lb boxes? i'm always contemplating storage!

Tomric, they dont have those online, just call them or send them an email they have those in storage. I think the 500 plastic trays were 119.00 and the boxes ( bottom and bases ) were areound 36.00 each. I am gonna take a pic and post it so ypou can see how they are, I have to tell you that was more than what I wanted to spend ( this festival was expensive for me but worth it ) but I was totally happy with those.

Do you have an item # for those?

The Boxes are PKG-STKL (base) and PKG-STKC (lid). The trays are T-110C.

Hi Vanessa. Just wanted to let you know that I got samples of the storage boxes and trays and am very satisfied. My only issue is "tallish" truffles - hand rolled sometimes come out a bit tallish- and larger bon bons- like the mouse or frog. Did you have a problem fitting anything into the plastic trays? I assume I could always package the problematic ones as I have in the past...

They were very efficient and also sent a catalogue.

Thanks for sharing this info!! :rolleyes: