• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amador in Francfort Frankfort

Just back from a very pleasant and exciting meal at Amador. Amador, in Langen (a Francfort suburb with many major companies), got his third star last fall, only four years after opening his restaurant in Langen. This is an unlikely three stars, with only one fork, a tiny kitchen and no parking.

The guy mixes very "molecular" techniques in a less surprising menu, as you can see on the pictures (click here for pictures and legends). Legends of the pics will give you details of the menu. It was my first "avantgarde" meal, if I believe what I read. I have no comparison point for that style of food so I won't elaborate on that. But all in all my impression was that, regardless of style and techniques used, what made the place so great was the generosity and commitment of the chef and his team.

They offer a wine pairing based on spanish wine that is extremly interesting too. The Godello for instance was totally morphing depending on the course it was paired with. Short but sweet or long and profound.

2006 Albarino

Bodegas Lagar de Pintos

Rias Baixas/ Spanien

2006 godello

Bodega valdesil

valdeorras / spanien

2003 jose pariente barrica

Bodegas dos victorias

rueda / Spanien

2006 chardonnay

Miquel Gelabert

Mallorca / Spanien

2004 pansal de calas 5cl

Celler de capcanes

montsant / spanien

1997 dionus

venta d’aubert

bajo aragon / Spanien

2004 Cingles Blaus 5cl

Celler Magi Baiget

Montsant / Spanien

• 6 months later...

Again at Amador, again a fantastic meal:

After he received the third star last year Juan Amador stated that work would actually begin as it is hard to keep that high quality and be creative on the other hand. Within this very year he and the whole brigade have worked very hard and are more and more elaborating a very distinct Amador style. Yes, in the beginning there are still some “molecular” elements but they are clearly in the background when it comes to the real menu. Subtleness and complexity have increased without over-doing it. It is just brilliantly balanced.

The Amador style is close to Sergio Herman but with Spanish influence (and not Asian) and with more variations in the composition of dishes - complexity, subtleness and the main themes of the individual courses change and all together it is just an amazing ride. Clearly some newer dishes need refinement and someone like Juan Amador takes on risks in putting out new dishes and then he constantly refines them in a meticulous process up to perfection (the carabinero and the pigeon dishes are a good examples).

The reason for visiting this treasure is not to expect technical break-throughs but it is a very unique emotional cuisine with outstanding products and ingenious ideas of combining the non-combinable (hey, techno-emotional in the best sense). That’s what Juan Amador should be praised for! A must-eat on every foodie landscape!

The whole report on High-End Food...