• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Low ingredient meals

CKatCook

I just threw together Tandoori chicken from what I had in the fridge

1lb boneless chicken thighs

In food processor added

1 chopped onion

1 thumb sized roughly chopped ginger

4 cloves of garlic

1 tablespoon Garam Masala

pureed and put in ziploc with 1 cup plain yogurt. 

If I had some lemon juice I would have added it. I've seen some Tandoor recipes online that call for vinegar, but wasn't sure what kind. White distilled?

Add chicken and let that marinate overnight. Broil or grill til done.

Wish I had a serrano pepper to have added to the processor.

I know that's six ingredients, but thought this was so easy I could squeak by with it.

Great thread idea!!

-Grace

I am so definitely doing this and SOON FoodMuse. Thanks especially since chicken thighs are my favorite part of the chicken. BTW, can I assume that the thighs are skinless as well? I believe that in the cooking of Tandoori chicken the skin is always removed, but I could very well be wrong. And you are so right, gotta add that serrano pepper.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

greek spanakopita:

fillo (10 sheets)

500gr feta

500gr spinach

3 eggs

1 onion

thats it...

saute onion, wilt spinach, add feta, eggs, mix, salt and pepper, lay 5 sheets of fillo (oil each one), pour filling, add the other 5 sheets, brush with a bit of egg wash, bake in 180C oven. I cannot have enough, make it every weekend

Edited by RedRum (log)

Creamed (or baked) Spinach:

Chopped spinach, either fresh or frozen (I use frozen chopped spinach)

Minced shallots

Minced garlic

Cream Cheese

Freshly grated parmesan cheese]

I do something like this regularly. It's adapted from a Frugal Gourmet recipe: Layer of artichoke hearts, layer of thawed spinach (does everybody know the trick of squeezing the water out by twisting it in a dishcloth?), layer of cream cheese, topped with Parm and baked til the top is GBD. It's great just like that, but I also add the shallots (or some caramelized onions), the garlic, a layer of browned bulk sausage (because heaven forfend I serve DH a meatless meal!), some sliced mushrooms (cooked in the sausage drippings - yum!), and I mix goat cheese in with the cream cheese. We call it "Sparc," for SPinach-ARtichoke-Casserole. It's easy to throw together and it's what DH always asks for when I give him a choice in the matter of dinner. It really is delicious!

Oops, that's ten ingredients! :shock: Still, thought I'd share.

Really good dried beans (like Rancho Gordo's) don't need much other than salt and maybe an onion. Serve with rice. Garnish if you feel like it. If you like meat, use a ham bone instead of salt.

To me, one of the most satisfying meals in the world is simple beans and rice!

greek spanakopita:

fillo (10 sheets)

500gr feta

500gr spinach

3 eggs

1 onion

thats it...

saute onion, wilt spinach, add feta, eggs, mix, salt and pepper, lay 5 sheets of fillo (oil each one), pour filling, add the other 5 sheets, brush with a bit of egg wash,  bake in 180C oven.  I cannot have enough, make it every weekend

I love greek food and have always wanted to learn to make this.

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

One of my favorite things to make currently,

salmon

leaks

lemon

butter

a touch of cream

Saute the leeks in the butter (use salt, pepper) till wilted and kind of "creamy" looking, add lemon and touch of cream to help thicken the sauce, pour over baked salmon.

yum, yum, yum...

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

Frisee Salad:

Frisee, lardons, poached egg, shallots, vinaigrette.

Roasted Marrow on Toast:

Marrow bones, parsley, shallot, lemon, olive oil.

"Tuna Salad":

Good quality fresh tuna, roasted watermelon, arugula, lime, olive oil.

ok, dumb question time: what's a lardon?

Quite possibly my favorite dish in the summer:

Caprese Salad. Ripe tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and fresh basil. S&P and olive oil don't count, but maybe drizzle with balsamic if you're so inclined.

I think some of the best dishes of all have just a few ingredients.

Roasted Chicken

-a chicken

-butter or olive oil

-salt

-pepper

optional:

stock (for pan sauce), garlic, herbs, other seasoning.

Roasted Vegetables

(fingerling potatoes, asparagus, brussel sprouts, anything roastable)

-salt

-pepper

-olive oil

Flourless Chocolate Torte

-chocolate

-eggs

-sugar

-butter

-salt

Notes from the underbelly

cream of anything soup ...

asparagus ..I take the tips and just set them aside ..dice up the stems cook them in chicken broth then puree and strain (if you want) ...saute the tips gently in butter just until tender ...add cream to the soup ..salt and pepper then stir the tips in and put a few on top for garnish

use this process to make any cream of soup

cream of carrots (cumin)

creamy roasted corn chowder (add some potatoes and green chile)

cream of mushroom (little shot of very good sherry added at the end)

cream of tomato (basil)

cream of spinach (garlic)

cream of squash (with curry)

cream of fresh peas (with some mint)

cream of onion

cream of garlic

cream of leftover roasted vegetables

you can take any vegetable you like and make a wonderful soup with just 3- 4 things added not including the salt and pepper'

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Late dinner tonight: linguine with sauteed asparagus and ramps.

Pix later, but 5 ingredients: linguine, ramps, asparagus, unsalted butter, chives with blossoms. Salt and pepper don't count.

It's spring on a plate. Cheese optional of course.

greek spanakopita:

fillo (10 sheets)

500gr feta

500gr spinach

3 eggs

1 onion

thats it...

saute onion, wilt spinach, add feta, eggs, mix, salt and pepper, lay 5 sheets of fillo (oil each one), pour filling, add the other 5 sheets, brush with a bit of egg wash,  bake in 180C oven.  I cannot have enough, make it every weekend

I love greek food and have always wanted to learn to make this.

This is really all there is to it. You will need good salty and tangy Greek feta (stay clear of that Danish crap... It is made with cow milk... ). I made two batches this weekend, it is really my one of my favourite foods.

a couple of things: instead of brushing each sheet with olive oil, I use a sunflower oil spay, it makes it lighter, crisper and it does not overpower the flavours of the filling.

Cut and portion the pie before putting it in the oven, once it is cooked it will be a nightmare to cut it, and the delicate fillo pastry will crumble.