• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flour in Tokyo

EllenC

I have been lurking on the Japan forum for a while, and I have been remiss in telling all of you how much I appreciate all of your wonderful posts. I am sorry.

My son is in The Tokyo area until August of 09. He is a pretty good cook - I can say that as his mother, because I am sure I am not at all biased. :laugh:

Some things he is used to making require flour and he says he cannot find it anywhere. Can someone please help me with maybe store layouts? or maybe what kana to look for? Or how to ask a helpful store clerk? His Japanese is passable - by that I mean that he can generally carry on a conversation without embarassing himself too much.

What is the best way to find flour in Tokyo?

Sorry for rambling.

Ellen

Some things he is used to making require flour and he says he cannot find it anywhere.  Can someone please help me with maybe store layouts? or maybe what kana to look for? Or how to ask a helpful store clerk?  His Japanese is passable - by that I mean that he can generally carry on a conversation without embarassing himself too much. 

What is the best way to find flour in Tokyo? 

Perhaps you can direct him to this post.

You can find flour at any store that sells food--even his neighbourhood convenience store or Y100 store should carry it.

Edited by prasantrin (log)

Thank you very much Rona! He has no time to look on the internet. (Well he gets 30 minutes a week to email me.) But this was most helpful and I will copy the info and send it to him in this week's email.

Ellen