• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Places to Buy Fresh Seafood

Any recommendations for good seafood markets where I can buy fresh plump mussels, littlenecks, maybe steamers and maybe shad roe? These are the things that just don't measure up in CA and I am craving them! I will be staying in mid-town at 57th and 6th Ave. I will be walking distance from Whole Foods (not my favorite store.) I will also be making a Fairway run one day, so that's close to Citarella. Is there anywhere to buy fresh seafood where the prices and attitude are more humble than Citarella? I am not averse to traveling a bit for great mussels, but timing is unknown at this point. Thanks for any help!

The Union Square green market is THE place for the bestest, freshest seafood in town - when the vendors are there, which is usually Wednesday, Friday and Saturday (I don't know if there is a fish vendor on Mondays, but I'm going this morning and will let you know). Fresh dug littlenecks, steamers and mussels (sometimes oysters) are generally available. They also have some of the finest scallops you'll ever taste, as well as a nice assortment of fin fish - black bass, sea bass, flounder, cod, monk fish, weakfish and porgies were among the offerings last week.

There are places where the prices and attitude are nicer than Citarella, but I don't know that the fish will be. Whole Foods may be hit or miss - when they've just gotten a delivery, they have some pretty fine stuff...it's caveat emptor, though, and last week our local (Bowery/Houston) WF had some wild, line caught salmon - it was $36 a pound...gulp.

Chinatown is Chinatown - gotta be careful...and lately I've eschewed buying fish that is stored sorta on ice and is sorta on the street.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I've had good luck at Chelsea Market, though I have not been there recently.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

The Lobster Place at Chelsea Market, or its sister on Bleecker St, are IMO the absolute best places (other than the Greenmarket) to buy seafood, but be warned: Prices are high.

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"