• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Insalata Caprese

Probably like many people, I assumed (apparently incorrectly) that insalata caprese originated on Capri, or at least nearby in Campania, since the ingredients- tomatoes, mozzarella di bufala and basilico are so good there.

In the latest issue of Gambero Rosso magazine, there is a little piece about the origins of the salad whereby a native of Capri, Constantino Moffa, who worked as a maitre d' in a Swiss hotel had it for himself so often, and people took to it asking for what the person from Capri had. It made itself to the menu, and the rest is history. Interesting story. Anyone ever hear this bit of food lore before? Always interesting how certain dishes, especially Italian ones, get their names.

Mark A. Bauman

I find that to be true often in Italian dishes.

Italians cook, but often names are given by others.

OF course there is an on going battle to the origins of many dishes, if they are French or were taught to the French by Catherine de' Medici's chefs, such as Bechamel sauce- Colla in Italy.

On international menu's , Veal Florentine, Eggs Florentine etc, all are dishes prepared with spinach, Here in Florence Veal Florentine is with peas.

Florentines are big eaters of spinach , chard or anything leafy and green, but it was the French that codified the recipes they saw.

Even in Italy names change for the same dish, area to area.

A classic dessert Zuppa Inglese, is said to have been a dessert which fell and was reassembled - cake and custard, while being served to an English guest- so called English soup.

OF course there is an on going battle to the origins of many dishes, if they are French or were taught to the French by Catherine de' Medici's chefs, such as Bechamel sauce- Colla in Italy.

On international menu's , Veal Florentine, Eggs Florentine etc, all are dishes prepared with spinach, Here in Florence Veal Florentine is with peas.

Florentines are big eaters of spinach , chard or anything leafy and green, but it was the French that codified the recipes they saw.

Even in Italy names change for the same dish, area to area.

A classic dessert Zuppa Inglese, is said to have been a dessert which fell and was reassembled - cake and custard, while being served to an English guest- so called English soup.

Ciao Judy!

Sort of off topic, but do you have any good sources for info regarding Catherine de Medici's chefs, or her spectacular dinners? I've been trying, but coming up with less than wonderful results.

Honey....that woman put the SPEC in spectacolo!!

"Zuppa" in Zuppa Inglese is most likely incorrectly translated as "Soup", rather it should be the related word "Sop", which are pieces of bread soaked with liquid. "Soup" is derived from this root.

In the late 14th or early 15th century cookery collection known as "Anonimo Toscano, Libro della cocina" there are a few recipes that give this sense of the word (slightly different spelling).

De la suppa.

Togli pane tagliato rotondo, come a modo di taglieri; friggilo

in la padella con lardo fresco e gittavi su bone spezie, e togli pane

abbrusticato e distemperalo col grasso che sia caduto di pavone o

d'altri uccelli, e gittalo sopra il pane fritto nella padella; e di sopra

gittavi zuccaro o succhi acetosi; e mangia.

Given this meaning "Zuppa Inglese" makes more sense, and in fact there is a 16th century there is an Italian recipe for "una suppa mangra inglese" which is similar to the recipe I have given above.