• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Book Notes: Clotilde's Edible Adventures in Paris

John Talbott

Clotilde Dusoulier, Clotilde’s Edible Adventures in Paris, Broadway Books, 2008, New York City

Wow! Two books on eating in Paris by eGullet members in as many months and both so different and worthwhile.

While Alec Lobrano’s mixes history, recollection and reviews of a hundred of so restaurants, Clotilde Dusoulier’s new book is a mixture of restaurants, shops, recipes, reservation advice, tips on eating, glossaries of terms, cooking advice, where to eat in certain areas and more.

As most readers of this Forum know, Clotilde’s first book, published only a year ago, “Chocolate & Zucchini: Daily Adventures in a Parisian Kitchen,” dealt with over 75 recipes from aperos to mignardises. In her second, she shows how much broader a scope her knowledge of Paris is.

For instance, she covers the important markets, many of the cooking schools and all the shops and restos in both Chinese quarters. The book is so encyclopedic that it’s amazing that she does it all in 291 pages and it’s even more amazing that she’s eaten at so many places. Disclosure: I am one who occasionally breaks bread with her and I’m delighted to see that she left one place out that dissed her.

This is another must-own book if you live in, travel to or dream about Paris. She suggests you use it in planning trips as well as a pocket guide once there, and I agree.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

I just got the book from Amazon today - and it looks good. I especially like the listings of food related things other than restaurants (like pastry shops - markets - cookware stores - etc.). At $12.21 - it's a bargain. Robyn

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to add more praise for Clotilde's Edible Adventures in Paris. I borrowed it from a colleague this week and it has a lot of great information all packed into a pocketsized book, perfect for carrying around Paris. It contains information not found in other books, from how to choose a fresh truffle to where to buy artisanal products made in a monastary.

I definitely plan on getting my own copy and hope Clotilde will have a book signing in Paris soon. We will post it here when she does.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

She did a book signing in Boston for her last book, and I missed it. I hope she returns for this one.

For those who have read it, how does this guide compare with the Patricia Wells' books? Those have always been a favorite armchair travel read for me.

She did a book signing in Boston for her last book, and I missed it. I hope she returns for this one.

For those who have read it, how does this guide compare with the Patricia Wells' books?  Those have always been a favorite armchair travel read for me.

I should let her answer since she's a very active member but there are similarities such as listing restaurants and places to shop and recipes but it's night from day in style and breadth. Without putting Ms Wells' book down, and I've been using it since 1984, Clotilde's is very contemporary, covering a whole range of places and had (in Colette's estimation) terrifically helpful practical information, like cross streets and cultural information (dining hours) that come easier to a French-born person. Since Ms. Wells is devoting her energies these days to Provence, I think Clotilde's book will become the new "carry with you when wandering Paris" book (it's paperback book, fit in pocket or purse, sized).

Take a look at it at the bookstore where she did the signing, I think you'll see the difference.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Thanks for the kind words, Felice and John!

It's somewhat difficult for me to compare my work to that of others, but if I may, I can point you to the mini-site I've set up for Clotilde's Edible Adventures in Paris. You'll find a presentation of the book, as well as reviews and excerpts.

As for a Paris booksigning, I have yet to put one together for this book, but I am hoping to arrange something in the fall.

Cheers,

Clotilde.