• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toasters / Toaster Ovens (2008-10)

paulraphael

I just retired my Cuisinart toaster. Retirement, in this house, tends to be a loud process. It's typically earned by some kind of incompetence, and followed by a few weeks of little plastic and sheet metal shards appearing in the far corners of the room.

But I digress. It's time to find a better way to make toast.

Toasters in general bug me. I don't like appliances that do just one thing. But friends with toaster ovens have told me they don't make very good toast. Is this stil true?

In a perfect world, I'd have a toaster oven that's small (no more than a foot and a half wide), solidly made, easy to clean, simple to use, able to make great toast, and good for reheating things like pizza, sandwiches, pastries, and anything that needs to be crisp. I don't need it to roast chickens, bake cakes, fit a half-sheet pan, or turn a wild boar on a spit.

Does such a thing exist?

Notes from the underbelly

We've got a Cuisinart Brick Oven toaster/oven/convection oven that we love. It's a little slower than a conventional toaster for making toast but the toast it makes it very evenly browned. It's about the size you looking for, it's about 20x15x11. We bought it at Williams Sonoma. It's expensive in about $250 but worth it in our opinion. For many things it's a lot easier and quicker than heating up the regular oven. We use it most every day especially when it's just the two of us.

Here's a link to it: Cuisinart Brick Oven

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

We've got a Cuisinart Brick Oven toaster/oven/convection oven that we love.  It's a little slower than a conventional toaster for making toast but the toast it makes it very evenly browned.  It's about the size you looking for, it's about 20x15x11.  We bought it at Williams Sonoma.  It's expensive in about $250 but worth it in our opinion.  For many things it's a lot easier and quicker than heating up the regular oven.  We use it most every day especially when it's just the two of us.

Here's a link to it: Cuisinart Brick Oven

We have this, and we love it for making toast and other things.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

If you must have nice toast then steer clear of the convection Cuisinart Toaster Oven. For everytging else it's wonderful, but not for toast; very uneven.

Ray

Do you have the brick oven convection toaster oven or just the standard Cuisinart conviction toaster oven? We find the brick oven one does an excellent job making toast, it takes a little longer than a conventional toaster by the browning is very even.

I'm going to let you in on a secret, Paul:

Toasters don't make good toast.

Toasters make toast quickly, but they don't make it well. Even the very expensive toasters, like Dualit, don't do a very good job. Toasters produce browned bread, not toast.

Good toast is gently crunchy throughout, not just browned on the exterior with a bready center. And it's not so easy to do that quickly. That's why toaster ovens are good for making toast -- as long as you don't make the toast on the toast setting. Instead, set your toaster oven for about 350 degrees and let it go until the toast is ready. That could take 10 minutes, but so what? It will be real toast, not browned bread.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I don't agree that toast should be crunchy throughout; toast should be crisp on the outside and soft inside. Which is why I love my toaster. If you want good toast, you buy a good toaster. Toaster ovens do nothing well -- they're not good ovens and they're not good toasters.

I don't agree that toaster ovens don't do anything well. I've done several things in my toaster oven when camping, including roasts, muffins, cakes, baked bries, and other things, and they all turned out quite well. I do prefer a toaster for toast, as I agree that toast should be soft inside, but the toaster oven works well when I need to make toast for more than two people at a time.

Marlene

I am not unfamiliar with violent or noisy endings when it comes to kitchen appliances. I'm sorry for your loss, and I'm sorry if anyone in your family suffered collateral damage as a result.

I am a committed toaster person. I've never met a toaster oven that did anything well, didn't take up valuable space and wasn't aesthetically hideous. A polished toaster is a thing of beauty. My favorite was the Sunbeam Toastmaster, but given that those days are long gone, I have actually found the basic 2-slice Cuisinart to be fairly efficient and a better value than any of the high-power glitzy types that cost five times as much.

I'm somewhere in the middle about the middle of the toast being crisp vs moist. I don't want a cracker, and that's why pre-sliced bread is usually sliced too thin. On the other hand I don't want anything flabby. I agree that toasters that toast too quickly are not good. In order to turn out lovely golden toast a toaster can't be too fast. You have to be patient for perfect toast. But if it's too slow, the toast gets sort of brown and never gets really hot.

One issue with the Cuisinart is quality control. The one we gave my in-laws (identical model as ours) is just a little slower than the one we have, and it makes just slightly better toast. Outside of the by-gone Sunbeam silent rise toasters, no toaster I know of can really be counted on to pop the toast up at the right time (and I am sure the romance of that toaster has clouded my memory.) Even with the Cuisinart we have to monitor it on a second go-round. Yes, it's a sacrifice, but you can tell that I am fairly invested in morning toast. However, given the price, the fact that both of these toasters have lasted with no ill effects for over ten years each, they are easy to clean, shine up well with chrome polish and the fact that the end result is a pretty good piece of toast, I'd say it's a decent appliance. Buy another one.

I believe this is the Sunbeam referenced:

gallery_17399_60_1097031834.jpg

Working T-20, T-30 and T-50 Sunbeam toasters, (and these are the benchmark of toasterdom), can be found on eBay for fairly reasonable prices.

As seen on this list.

I collect antique/vintage toasters and I have a "few" of these. Last year I scored one that was still in its original box, had never been plugged in.

As far as toaster ovens go, the best one ever made was the GE automatic toaster oven, originally produced in the late '60s and through the '70s.

Those can also be found on ebay and while they are smaller than most T-ovens, they toast nicely and are terrific for English muffin "pizzas" and baking biscuits, pastries, etc.

Here's one.

Also, unlike other toaster ovens, this one is "automatic" the door flips open and the tray slides out when the toast or ???? is done, according to how you set it.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

If you must have nice toast then steer clear of the convection Cuisinart Toaster Oven. For everytging else it's wonderful, but not for toast; very uneven.

Ray

Do you have the brick oven convection toaster oven or just the standard Cuisinart conviction toaster oven? We find the brick oven one does an excellent job making toast, it takes a little longer than a conventional toaster by the browning is very even.

Just the standard one; the one with the stone is much too expensive.

Ray

Ray

Ray

Yes it's expensive but I think in the long run it's well worth it. It looks just as well as a large oven with the exception of its capacity. I'm sure we save a lot by not having to heat up our large of an while cooking small items.

I received this Hamilton Beach toaster for Christmas and like it so far.

One of the nice features of this toaster (which isn't mentioned in the Amazon product description...in fact, nothing is mentioned in the product description :hmmm: ) is that when you press the "plunger" down to drop the bread slices down into the toaster, metal brackets move in to hold each of the slices straight up and down in the center of the slots. No more having the slices lean too far one way or the other and get too toasted.

Plus, when the toast is done and pops up, the plunger knob can be lifted up a little which also lifts the toast up a little higher making it easier to remove.

It can also toast bagels, reheat and can also thaw then toast frozen items.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Ray

Ray

Yes it's expensive but I think in the long run it's well worth it. It looks just as well as a large oven with the exception of its capacity. I'm sure we save a lot by not having to heat up our large of an while cooking small items.

Indeed. And because it comes with a removable stone, you can do small pizzas in it as well. It also fits a nine inch pie plate or cake pan too. If I put it in front to back, rather than sideways, this

baker fits in it.

Marlene

Thanks for the insights. I'm intrigued by the cuisinart brick oven. Even though it seems like more of an appliance than what I was looking for. Can you give me a sense of its size? And does it seem well made? Some of these things look so nice in pictures, but when you get close and twiddle the knobs they have that uninspiring Easy-Bake vibe.

I just went to amazon and answered my own question about the size. AND ... i got teased by this link to the cuisinart pizza oven:

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-PIZ-100-St...d_bxgy_k_text_b

Anyone familiar with this? Looks like a terrible pizza oven, but might be a killer toaster.

Thanks for the insights. I'm intrigued by the cuisinart brick oven. Even though it seems like more of an appliance than what I was looking for. Can you give me a sense of its size? And does it seem well made? Some of these things look so nice in pictures, but when you get close and twiddle the knobs they have that uninspiring Easy-Bake vibe.

Just go to your nearest Williams Sonoma store and look at one, most of them have them in stock. I personally think it's quite well made, it's quite heavy and it doesn't have any unnecessary bells and whistles, but the best solution is to see one yourself.

Paul, you should go look at one, but in case it helps, here are a few pictures of mine

gallery_6080_205_184659.jpg

The controls are simple. No electronics here

gallery_6080_205_146016.jpg

gallery_6080_205_66950.jpg

As I said, it fits a full size pie plate as well

gallery_6080_205_189682.jpg

Marlene

I believe this is the Sunbeam referenced:

gallery_17399_60_1097031834.jpg

Working T-20, T-30 and T-50 Sunbeam toasters, (and these are the benchmark of toasterdom), can be found on eBay for fairly reasonable prices.

Wow, Andie, that is a thing of beauty IMHO! I have the world's cheapest toaster - I think that I paid $8 for it at Walgreens Pharmacy about 12 years ago. It's white plastic and the knob fell off as soon as I took it out of the box. It's not marked with any brand that I've noticed. My family hates it and has been pestering me forever to replace it! I keep looking at new toasters but they just don't do it for me.

I think that I have just found my new dream toaster . . . thanks for posting the photo and ebay list!

Wow, Andie, that is a thing of beauty IMHO! I have the world's cheapest toaster - I think that I paid $8 for it at Walgreens Pharmacy about 12 years ago. It's white plastic and the knob fell off as soon as I took it out of the box. It's not marked with any brand that I've noticed. My family hates it and has been pestering me forever to replace it! I keep looking at new toasters but they just don't do it for me.

I think that I have just found my new dream toaster . . . thanks for posting the photo and ebay list!

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 2 weeks later...

We have one of the GE toasters shown here (1946-1949)

Cyber Toaster Museum

and it makes really great toast. GE made zillions of these and if you can find one in a thrift store or garage sale, I highly recommend it. We had gone through several mediocre toasters until I acquired this one (for $5!)

Edited by JSD (log)