• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Meat options for a small, ovenless kitchen

sus

It's the day before mother's day and I am visiting my family in Puerto Rico. I am renting an apartment that has no oven. Now, I had planned a nice meal for my family in my apt which included a lovely arugula salad, potato salad (could not escape this one as my father explicitly requested it as he only likes my recipe and he gets to eat it only when I visit). Now, I wanted to accompany the potatoes w. a simple steak, cooked in cast iron and then finished in oven. Today I woke up and realized that the kitchen has no oven! Now, to be honest, I think I already knew this but kept blocking it. Now, w/o an oven what kinds of simple good meats would you suggest I could possibly make? How? Chicken is out of the question (sick and tired of it), but I could replace the meat for some sort of seafood.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions!

-Sus

I like it. Maybe do a surf and turf---scallops and 1inch or less thick london broil? Off to the supermarket to look around and experiment. Thanks so much for the inputs!!

-Sus

Just so everyone knows, as i was headed to do the surf and turf my mother had already purchased some pretty hefty and tasty rib eyes. I improvised by cooking them in the cast iron, then turned it down and placed a flat pan (that I later found out buried somewhere in the apartment's owner pantry) pan side down over the steaks to create sort of an oven. The steaks were delish. I ended up making Ed's potato salad and everything was just delicious.