• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Atlanta for a quick trip

Chad

Missed this post earlier.  I don't have as much time to eat out as before but here are some updates on ATL's dining scene --

I'll start with Woodfire Grill since you asked about it specifically.  It used to be helmed by Chef Tyler Williams and while he was there it was fantastic -- along with Bacchanalia among the top 2-3 restaurants in Atlanta bar none.  Dishes were very forward thinking -- smart incorporation of both modernist techniques with the namesake "woodfire" grill.  I have not been back since he left last year, but I have heard positive reviews for the new chef.  I would, however, consider it a white tablecloth restaurant -- although it is not stuffy. 

My personal favorite the last several years has been One Eared Stag.  Very creative and funky take on southern cuisine.  It's hip without being pretentious, and has a relaxed vibe.  Not white tablecloth!  I'd like to think this is the kind of place David Chang would open if he was raised in the south.  It doesn't get a ton of press -- and the website is an abomination -- but have no doubt this place is the real deal.  Great, great brunch as well. A couple of years ago I posted that this restaurant was what modern southern cooking is all about, and I still stand by that.  Just ate there for lunch a few days ago.

I still haven't been to Gunshow (Top Chef contestant Kevin Gillespie's place) but have heard great things about it.  It is a different style of restaurant -- kind of a cross between fine dining dishes with dim sum style service.  It stays very well booked so they're doing something right. 

There's a great place in Decatur/Emory area Sobban which is traditional Korean food with a southern twist.  The owners also have a fantastic BBQ joint, Heirloom BBQ, that is traditional southern BBQ with a Korean twist.  Owned by two chefs who are (no surprise) a native southerner and a native Korean.  Maybe counterintuitive but southern and Korean cuisines fit together hand in glove.

If you're looking to go the gift card route, you may want to consider getting a card from one of the local restaurant groups.  I would recommend Star Provisions -- which includes Bacchanalia, Abbatoir and Floataway Café.  They have been doing "farm to table" for 20+ years -- long before that stupid phrase came into vogue.  Still the premier restaurant group in ATL imo.  A couple of others (not sure if they sell group gift cards or not) would be Kevin Rathbun's Restaurants (all solid) and the Ford Fry restaurant group (King+Duke, Optimist, No. 246, JCT, St. Cecilia) 

There are some other new exciting places that have just opened or are opening soon that I haven't had a chance to check out -- Krog Street Market, Cockentrice, Cooks & Soldiers -- that you may want to look at.

• 3 months later...

Due to a family emergency, I'm going to be spending some time in Atlanta. I'm a granny so don't need info about lively nightspots. I'm going to be on my own and will have a car (driving in from Texas). I'll be staying in Decatur and visiting a rehab facility on the Emory campus. I am looking for info about casual lunch and/or dinner places where I will feel (and be) safe.

I'm definitely not a picky eater so would like advice about any decent eatery - regardless as to type of cuisine offered. I am particularly fond of Asian but, seriously, anything will do.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Due to a family emergency, I'm going to be spending some time in Atlanta. I'm a granny so don't need info about lively nightspots. I'm going to be on my own and will have a car. I'll be staying in Decatur and visiting a rehab facility on the Emory campus. I am looking for info about casual lunch and/or dinner places where I will feel (and be) safe.

I'm definitely not a picky eater so would like advice about any decent eaterie - regardless as to type of cuisine offered. I am particularly fond of Asian but, seriously, anything will do.

This market is great. I didn't eat at the cafe so can't comment on it's quality but you could get "supplies " for your room.  http://www.dekalbfarmersmarket.com/

I have family in Marietta and drive there a couple times each year. I take I-40 to Memphis then go through either Birmingham or Nashville. If your route is similar I may be able to recommend stops for your drive over.   

• Like 1

This market is great. I didn't eat at the cafe so can't comment on it's quality but you could get "supplies " for your room. http://www.dekalbfarmersmarket.com/

I have family in Marietta and drive there a couple times each year. I take I-40 to Memphis then go through either Birmingham or Nashville. If your route is similar I may be able to recommend stops for your drive over.

Haven't finalized my route. Coming from Houston but am absolutely not going to do battle with I-10 across southern Louisiana. I just hate it. And every time I do it I swear never again.

This time I'm sticking to it. I've got enough problems without that.

Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 2

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Hands down, my favorite place in Atlanta to eat is Murphy's, which is also a bakery and wine shop. I have never had a meal there that did not make my eyes roll back in my head. American/Continental cuisine, from burgers up to Chateaubriand. Great wine list. Just stunning. It's in Virginia Highland (at the intersection, if memory serves correctly), so convenient to Emory.

There's a Thai place down from Murphy's a couple of blocks that was good, but I don't remember the name. Liked the Tom Kha soup served in a little donut-shaped dish with a tea light candle in the middle to keep it warm. About a bajillion restaurants up and down that stretch, including the Majestic, on, I think, Ponce de Leon, an OLD diner that has primo breakfasts.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Jaymes, Decatur is like a small college town. Very friendly, safe, full of babies, dogs, etc. My daughter has lived there several years. For breakfast I really like Cakes and Ale, in the square, central Decatur. Really sweet, excellent pastry and coffee, very casual. Iberian Pig is good for a light dinner if you want a drink and a couple of small plates; it is tapas. North of Decatur in Druid Hills on the Buford Highway is a Vietnamese place called Nam Phuong. Nicest people, really good food, and I eat a lot of Viet food here in the Bay Area. It's a bit of a drive from Decatur, but not a bad drive. It's in a nondescript little strip mall, but inside it is warm and friendly. If I was in a rehab facility of any kind that's where I would ask you to get me some takeaway. But then Pho equals comfort food in my mind. There are lots of places to eat in downtown Decatur. And if you are frying in the heat, in the square there's a popsicle cart with all natural fruit pops to pep you up--can't guarantee he's still there!

• Like 1

This is lifting my spirits immeasurably. Unfortunately, this crisis involves my 94-yr-old father and it's going to be a pretty difficult journey from here on out.

• Like 1

It has been quite a while since I visited Atlanta so I cannot offer other recommendations for you on the food front, Jaymes, but I am so sorry about your father - been there, done that and I know how tough this time may be for you. I do hope you take the time to stay well nourished yourself and find some pleasant moments to savour the local cuisine nonetheless - you will need your strength.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

This market is great. I didn't eat at the cafe so can't comment on it's quality but you could get "supplies " for your room.  http://www.dekalbfarmersmarket.com/

So, heading out from Houston toward Atlanta on Sat.  Going north first, to Shreveport, then I-20 east to Atlanta.  In no hurry to get to what awaits me in Atlanta.

Any suggestions for places to stop along the way?  Would love something in Shreveport in particular.  Think I'll spend first night on the road there.

And somebody said Wintzell's Oyster House in Montgomery.  I'll probably spend the 2nd night there so I get into Atlanta early in the day.

http://www.wintzellsoysterhouse.com/

So, heading out from Houston toward Atlanta on Sat.  Going north first, to Shreveport, then I-20 east to Atlanta.  In no hurry to get to what awaits me in Atlanta.

Any suggestions for places to stop along the way?  Would love something in Shreveport in particular.  Think I'll spend first night on the road there.

And somebody said Wintzell's Oyster House in Montgomery.  I'll probably spend the 2nd night there so I get into Atlanta early in the day.

http://www.wintzellsoysterhouse.com/

Safe travels.

I generally take a more northerly route but can recommend two restaurants close to your route.

in Columbus, GA: http://www.yelp.com/biz/la-nacional-columbus - a bit of a dive although it was clean and felt completely safe for lunch. I really enjoyed the buffet and ate things I would never have ordered.

and, if you decide to stay on I-20 to go through Birmingham: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g30375-d3250988-r178754842-Saw_s_Soul_Kitchen-Birmingham_Alabama.html#REVIEWS, I would never go here by myself at night but it felt safe at lunch. It was loud, dirty, and the air conditioning was marginal but I would go back for the pulled pork on grits and greens.

Also, one of my favorite outlet malls is just off of I-20, http://www.shopsofgrandriver.com/

I think I'll be in Marietta the 3rd week in Sept and am planning on attending http://www.musiccityfoodandwinefestival.com/  on my way home.

Edited by cyalexa (log)

Safe travels.

I generally take a more northerly route but can recommend one restaurant  close to your route, in Columbus, GA: 

http://www.yelp.com/biz/la-nacional-columbus - a bit of a dive although it felt completely safe for lunch. I really enjoyed the buffet and ate things I would never have ordered.

Boy, does that place look like fun.  Definitely going to do it.  Thanks.

Boy, does that place look like fun.  Definitely going to do it.  Thanks.

I will be interested to hear what you think. Most of the buffet items were was quite different than the Mexican food generally served around here (which is probably more Tex-Mex). The chicken drums in mole was delicious. The stew with the pig skin was the most unusual thing I ate. The flavor was very good but I prefer my pig skin fried. The chicken enchilada was the only disappointment as it was made with white meat and was a bit dry. The place was clean, even though it was run-down, and the staff was very nice.  

PS. I think you may have read my last post before it was edited.

Edited by cyalexa (log)

If you do decide to go through Birmingham either en route to or from, highly recommend the Hot and Hot Fish Club in the Five Points/UAB area.

Can't testify to Wintzell's in Montgomery, but the ones in Mobile and Fair Hope are wonderful.

I know the chamber of commerce guy in Columbus if you need any other recommendations or assistance.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 6 months later...

Lunch in Atlanta 

A pastrami Ruben at Star Provisions. The individual components were delicious however the sandwich was not well constructed. The side depicted had the vast majority of the meat and the other side had almost all of the cheese. I was disappointed in the deli. A rather small selection of both fresh and cured meats. I would have liked to have purchased some of the wonderful pastrami but it was not available. There was something I have never seen before in a jar on the counter.IMG_20151228_143807_570.jpg

IMG_20151228_151028_558.jpg

• Like 3

On 12/29/2015 at 1:59 PM, cyalexa said:

There was something I have never seen before...

Says you...

• Like 3