• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sea Urchin - Foie Gras of the Sea

MikeTMD

Sea Urchin is most certainly an acquired taste for those of us who live in the New World.

Right after I saw phenomenal pictures made by Ulterior Epicure made at the L'Atelier De Joel Robuchon in NYC (posted on flickr) , and read a review of a particular uni dish - my faith was sealed. I had to make it!

Here is what the final result looked like:

gallery_57905_5971_30466.jpg

Mechanics/prep:

plate was freezer-chilled, brush-painted with extra virgin olive oil mixed with yuzu juice,

thinly slices of 10/20 scallop were fanned at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock, garnished with chives and extra-bold black pepper, four pcs. of uni were placed between scallop slices, sprinkled with lemon juice, and garnished with fennel fronds and frisee.

Original dish appears to contain Pimente D'Espellete or similar pepper dusting - much desired complimentary taste.

This is truly a very nice combination of flavors.

Please share your Uni taste memories, or perhaps ideas of what you'd pair with it. It's got to be a fun ride!

Edited by MikeTMD (log)

"It's not from my kitchen, it's from my heart"

Michael T.

My flickr collection

Real, fresh sea urchin is seasonal on the East Coast, so this discussion is slightly painful for me (no more until October, I think), but this February we ordered a bunch fresh from an outfit out of Gloucester, Massachusetts called The Fresh Lobster Company.

I'll leave the fancy cooking to the pros, (nice looking plate, Mike). We just cut the critters open with scissors and ate their guts out of the shell while knocking back crisp white wine. Just frighteningly good -- kind of like finding true love while the tide comes in, only a little more delicate.

And, one of the few things you can throw at guests in this jaded age that they've never actually tried eating before.

I am counting the days until the season begins again.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I made fried oysters with uni mayo a year ago or so.. I havent had it since but, it was great..

Daniel,

how did you make uni mayo?

"It's not from my kitchen, it's from my heart"

Michael T.

My flickr collection

Hmmm.....sea urchin....how can I count the ways?

As sushi, of course. That's too numerous to count.

Marinated with spices the Korean way, and eaten with rice and a wrap of seaweed. This is one of the best (and easiest) banchan in our house.

Cut open with a dive knife and scooped out on the deck of a boat (perhaps the best way to eat it).

Done up as an emulsion by Herve at Beaulieu in Bangkok, and served as a sauce on a beautiful piece of cod.

Roy Yamaguchi's uni, truffle, and ginger jus drizzle over tai sashimi (although I was not too happy with this).

gallery_22892_3721_75597.jpg

Yoshii Ryuichi's sea urchin egg cup, just a happy little thing.

And served as "sea urchin royal with cream of asparagus" by Santi Santamaria. (Whatever happened to that post?)

Okay, that's a start.......