• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Raw Milk is the New Crack

Spotted this item earlier this week in the Inky: Got milk? Could be a crime. Permit issues aside, this part had me chortling:

Nolt's permit expired in August 2006. The following year, the Department of Agriculture raided his property, seized his equipment and inventory and issued citations - all of which Nolt ignored. After receiving complaints, the agency launched another investigation and conducted undercover milk buys that led to his arrest on April 25 and the second seizure of his equipment and inventory.

Next up: cheese forfeitures.

Well it actually has been for a long time. Lots of food handling (of food for sale) can be criminal and tragic too. I guess 'undercover milk buys' could be a little humorous in and of itself when we compare it to hard drugs, and dirty bomb weapon sales or something. But if someone got sick we would all jump those same officials who this time were doing their job too. I'm sure most everyone has had some kind of food poisoning and it ain't fun at a minimum.

I say good for them for catching the guy.

Excerpt from link below:

"Here are a few examples of outbreaks that have been reported since 2000:

2001: Outbreak of Campylobacter jejuni infections from drinking “raw” or unpasteurized milk.

2003: Outbreak of Listeria monocytogenes infections from eating unpasteurized queso fresco (a Mexican-style soft cheese)

2003: Outbreak of Salmonella infections from eating unpasteurized queso fresco.

2004: Outbreak of E. coli.O157 infections from eating unpasteurized queso fresco

Click here for rmore.

There's been deaths in the past from contamination too. There was one case (in the North East if memory serves) where the milk was actually pasteurized then some bad mojo got in the lids or something and it was real bad news for a few folks.

Edited by K8memphis (log)

It's not funny. That doesn't mean the sale of raw milk in Pennsylvania should be banned, as they are in some states. But it's entirely reasonable to enforce regulations intended to assure the highest possible quality attainable. (Unreasonable enforcement of regulations to protect economic interests in the guise of health is another matter.)

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

I buy and drink raw milk from a local farm here in Lancaster County. They have license to sell it and run a very clean operation. It is for sale at other places that I would NEVER buy it from.

Regulation can be a bad thing, but when the public health is at stake, I do not oppose it. Others may differ, but I think the PA dept of Agriculture tries to be fair in this matter. As Bob says sale of raw milk is outright banned in several states

Well it actually has been for a long time. Lots of food handling (of food for sale) can be criminal and tragic too. I guess 'undercover milk buys' could be a little humorous in and of itself when we compare it to hard drugs, and dirty bomb weapon sales or something. But if someone got sick we would all jump those same officials who this time were doing their job too. I'm sure most everyone has had some kind of food poisoning and it ain't fun at a minimum.

I say good for them for catching the guy.

Excerpt from link below:

"Here are a few examples of outbreaks that have been reported since 2000:

2001: Outbreak of Campylobacter jejuni infections from drinking “raw” or unpasteurized milk.

2003: Outbreak of Listeria monocytogenes infections from eating unpasteurized queso fresco (a Mexican-style soft cheese)

2003: Outbreak of Salmonella infections from eating unpasteurized queso fresco.

2004: Outbreak of E. coli.O157 infections from eating unpasteurized queso fresco

Click here for rmore.

There's been deaths in the past from contamination too. There was one case (in the North East if memory serves) where the milk was actually pasteurized then some bad mojo got in the lids or something and it was real bad news for a few folks.

What the article fails to mention is that every instance of salmonella and e. coli outbreaks involving cheese have been from pasteurized milk cheeses. Raw milk is not the culprit. Bad manufacturing and sanitation practices are. Those figures are a red herring used to justify an unreasonable ban.

Chad

Chad Ward

An Edge in the Kitchen

William Morrow Cookbooks

www.chadwrites.com

• 1 year later...

Firstly, that CDC article is useless.

When raw milk or raw milk products become contaminated, people who eat the contaminated foods can get sick.
If any food becomes contaminated the people who consume it can become sick. And listing a handful of food sickness cases that are tracked to raw dairy is pseudoscience designed to push an agenda.

Also why is it in the healthy pets section?

Secondly the Harper article is amazingly well written (Note: this is journalism not science). Drinking raw milk is a choice, with no clear correct answer, especially for those of us who did not have the luxury (hardship?) of growing up on a farm. However having the government make the decision is not an acceptable, socially healthy, or sustainable approach.

Edited by FjornF (log)

Drinking raw milk is a choice, with no clear correct answer, especially for those of us who did not have the luxury (hardship?) of growing up on a farm. However having the government make the decision is not an acceptable, socially healthy, or sustainable approach.

Well than you'll be happy to know there isn't a single place which regulates the drinking of raw milk.

I'm all for controlled sanitary production/storage/transport etc, but I'm very much opposed to laws and regulations that tell me what I can eat/drink/what ever. As long (item) is produced clean and well, I don't need any govt to hold my hand because I might get the runs from raw milk/cheese/what have you. I wish there was a dairy farm around here where I could get raw milk. I can buy it at Whole Foods for unreal amounts of money though. Funny, was NOT processed in million dollar factories and costs more. Crazy world.... :blink:

"And don't forget music - music in the kitchen is an essential ingredient!"

- Thomas Keller

Diablo Kitchen, my food blog

I'm all for controlled sanitary production/storage/transport etc, but I'm very much opposed to laws and regulations that tell me what I can eat/drink/what ever.

Again, there is no law against you drinking raw milk. Outside of some narcotics, there are no laws about what you eat/drink etc.

Look, you can poke yourself in the eye all day and it is legal. If I poke you in the eye, it is a different story. The protection laws are about the obligations of sellers, not what you can drink. There is a worthwhile discussion to be had about that, but throwing in the hysteria of "The government can't tell me what to drink!!!" not only doesn't add to the discourse, but is also untrue; they are NOT telling you that you can't drink raw milk. They are telling you that you can't sell it. The regulations about selling things are there for orderly society and to prevent undue harm from irresponsible (*), dishonest or malicious sellers; whether this one is necessary or not is interesting, but it isn't about what you are allowed to drink.

(*) where irresponsible may just mean they have not sufficiently informed the consumer. Or they are sloppy.