• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Molten Lava Cake

Serena

I have successfully used many times Mark Bittman's recipe for Warm, Soft Chocolate Cake from his iPhone/iPad app, How to Cook Everything. He doesn't call it lava cake, but that's what it is. I found it online as well in a NY Times blog post:

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/02/12/molten-chocolate-magic/

To. Die. For.

The lava cake (or chef Bo calls it a truffle cake) from 'The Advanced Professional Pastry Chef' comes out like what you have in your picture, I've made it numerous times. Pm me if you dont like the results from the above post, and I'll type it out.

See this video for a very clear and detailed explanation of chocolate properties, key temperatures and processes. I do not remember any more where the part about the lava cake was but it definitely has both the recipe and the right process. I used it with great success.

You can make balls of ganache, freeze or chill them, then drop them into the batter before baking. Here's a recipe from Ghirardelli you can use as a guide:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/ghirardelli-individual-chocolate-lava-cakes/

Believe it or not I did this one 4 times!! but the result was always: Either the ganache ball go down and the upper cake is thick or it breaks down on the tray after I take it out (and because it happened several times I did add more time in the oven, or add flour, all failed)

I make something similar. I posted the details in the Daily Sweets thread a while back - I am copying my original post below. I hope that you will find a recipe that works for you!

My husband had a craving for chocolate so I made soft chocolate cakes with Valrhona chocolate.

8085141261_cc0cbb7893_z.jpg

The recipe is here; I've been using it for years. Instead of ramekins, I bake them in muffin tins lined with paper cups. They cook very fast and are ready in less than 10 minutes typically.

This looks yummy!! If I make it bigger would the chocolate pour out like the one in my picture?

See this video for a very clear and detailed explanation of chocolate properties, key temperatures and processes. I do not remember any more where the part about the lava cake was but it definitely has both the recipe and the right process. I used it with great success.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS VIDEO!! I am VERY VERY much interested in these kind of things! The science of pastry intrigues me and I just got Alton Brown's book about the topic!!

I make something similar. I posted the details in the Daily Sweets thread a while back - I am copying my original post below. I hope that you will find a recipe that works for you!

My husband had a craving for chocolate so I made soft chocolate cakes with Valrhona chocolate.8085141261_cc0cbb7893_z.jpg

The recipe is here; I've been using it for years. Instead of ramekins, I bake them in muffin tins lined with paper cups. They cook very fast and are ready in less than 10 minutes typically.

This looks yummy!! If I make it bigger would the chocolate pour out like the one in my picture?

Thanks! You could make it a little bigger and take it out of the oven a minute or two earlier if you like a more liquid center.