• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Villeroy & Boch knives

Niamh

Hi all!

My bank has an interesting offer on at the moment, basically standing on the premise that if you leave a chunk of money in an account for a while for them to play around with, they will give you a seven-piece Villeroy & Boch knife set. Alternatively, if you don't have the required chunk, they will do something fancy with your bank account and you will end up paying around €100 ($154) for them.

So, has anybody used V & B knifes before? I saw them in the bank and they look nice, and its a well-known brand (for plates at least), so I am thinking it might be a good deal for someone who hasn't quite got the funds to buy good knives at a faster rate than one a year! Any opinions out there?

...no such thing as a free lunch...

Or knife set either, I think. At best, what the set is worth at bulk wholesale will be the sum likely to be accrued by your bank in interest on your money for the period covered. The 100 Euros is not an indicator of value, in my opinion.

As far as I know or can find out, V&B do not actually make kitchen knives; they attach their name to products made by subcontractors. If you have a link to anywhere actually selling the knives offered then that might provoke further [better informed :wink: ] discussion. If nowhere actually sells the knives then it seems likely that they are a product created for just this kind of marketing.

Sets of knives are rarely ever a good deal, anyway. I think you would be better served by buying one or two decent knives of known provenance. By all means pay for them by using the interest earned by leaving the money in the bank.

You did invite opinions, eh? :smile:

Hehe, no, no you're quite right, I DID ask for opinions, since I am a. not very up on knives and b. not very up on banks!

I can find similar knives to the ones in the bank on the V&B website, here. In fairness though, I can't find anywhere selling them on the net, but if you search in Spanish, you CAN find that they are a fairly popular freebie. Ah well, I've learned a lesson anyway! I'll stick to my one-a-year method...