• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do i transport my wine?

Poots

I'm currently living in Australia and will be moving back to the New York area in the near future(few months). I have around 50 bottles of wine i'd like to bring back with me. My company provides me with my own 40 foot shipping container for all my household goods but i don't think this would be such a good environment for my wine(especially being in a large steel container during June/July). I'll have 3 suitcases that i can throw 3 to 4 bottles in for my flight(although i'll probably be over the customs limit). does anyone have any suggestions for solving my plight?

thanks in advance,

Brian

Yield to Temptation, It may never come your way again.

--Lazarus Long

First off, what is the first U.S. airport you fly in to, because that sets your state allowance and whether you need an importer license or not. After that, for federal customs and taxes it's 3% of the total value of your wine for customs and another $.20 or so per bottle for taxes. Someone much more knowledgeable than me can correct me on that though.

My wife and I recently got back from Spain and Portugal and we brough back about 25 bottles of wine, with 18 of them packed in wine shipping boxes. . .we declared $500 in wine, but customs just waived us through. So, don't mean to get your hopes up on that front, just know that customs can be very haphazard.