• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Macarons – Baking

gfron1

On 12/27/2018 at 5:02 PM, pjm333 said:

Keychris - I just think they dry better on a silpat but if parchment paper works better thats great to. 

I've been making macarons for a few years with my students. We've always used parchment. I bought silicone mats specifically for macarons. They are marked for piping. We've had problems with them on these mats. Do you find you have to bake longer?

12 hours ago, KaffeeKlatsch said:

I've been making macarons for a few years with my students. We've always used parchment. I bought silicone mats specifically for macarons. They are marked for piping. We've had problems with them on these mats. Do you find you have to bake longer?

Yes they bake longer. The mats provide a layer of insulation.

• Like 1

I also find that when I bake on silicone, things spread very differently than they do on parchment. I think it's a combination of the extreme slipperiness and the insulation that keeps things from setting up as quickly. @KaffeeKlatsch, any chance you could try using the silicone mat with the piping marks as a guide to draw circles on parchment, then flip the parchment over and use that for baking?

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2