• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stockholm Restaurant Recommendations

I second the recommendation for Prinsen. Was there last summer and plan to go back in a few weeks. Recommend the herring appetizer plate ("sillbricka") for traditional Swedish starter. If they're more adventuresome, the Whitebait Roe (lojrom) is fantastic. They used to have a great seafood salad, but I don't see it on the menu posted on the internet (http://www.restaurangprinsen.com/download/menus/menytest.pdf).

There are many other options for traditional Swedish fare including Backfican (bistro in the side of the opera house), Den Gyldene Fryden (classic joint in the old down), and Ullah Winbladh (nice park setting). There are also good buffets at Ulriksdals Wardshus, Grand Hotel, and other places. Beware that Stockholm can be like a post-nuclear zone in July with many natives leaving to their summer cabins and many restaurants closed.

My parents looked at the menus of several restaurants recommended here and chose Sturehof. My mother is looking forward to the herring.

Thanks for the help!

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

• 4 weeks later...

A general recommendation for people who want good swedish food but at a lower price is to use the much lower lunch prices look for food called husmanskost. The food is also more likely to be close to what a normal swede would call swedish food than the fancier (although very good) meals at Michelin starred restaurants. I do agree with Ericthered, Summer is not a good time for visiting nice restaurants in Stockholm.

• 2 weeks later...