• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Strawberries!

pastrygirl

OK folks, strawberries are here (or at least they are here). What's new and exciting - or old and exciting in the world of strawberries?

So far I've only made jam, the local berries have decent flavor, not great color, and are extremely perishable. I never thought I'd miss those indestructible California berries! :huh: I need to create at least 3 different strawberry desserts and I'm just not feeling the love. I'm sure there will be roasted berries with panna cotta on my menus somewhere, and probably a strawberry trifle. I just made a szechuan pepper meringue that I think would be good with fresh berries, if I can keep them fresh (we get produce once a week). The import taxes on champagne are too high, and we have no fruity rose's - what other wine would go with strawbs? I'm thinking a wine jelly with strawberry sorbet.

Anyone have any strawberry inspiration?

I picked up some NJ strawberries at the Flourtown Farmer's Market last week and they were some of the best we've had. Juicy, deep red, and very flavorful. I'm hoping they have them again this weekend.

I served them plain (no sugar) with chocolate chip bread pudding and sweetened whipped cream. So good.

Also, I called Maple Acre Farms (Plymouth Meeting, PA) yesterday and they said they would be starting to pick strawberries today. I am going over to see how they are. We eat them through the season with plain Skyr and granola. And on Shredded Oats cereal. And out of hand. And with creme fraiche. And homemade chocolate-flecked marshmallow fluff.

So glad strawberry season is back!

Eileen

Edited by etalanian (log)

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

Funny this topic should show up this morning. I just got a 4 lb. box of strawberries in yesterday and was deciding what I'm going to do with them so I'll keep an eye on this thread.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I too made strawberry jam and I made angel food cake to go with some left overs. They were good. I think next I'm going to make pound cake and have that with the next batch.

Jane

CI's strawberry cream cake. Darcie B made one on her blog and its looks great.

I do plan on making it this year, but I'm waiting for our Ontario berries( which wont be here until June)

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

I picked up some NJ strawberries at the Flourtown Farmer's Market

Lucky you! Ours (in the PNW) are behind this year due to a cold spring and we don't normally even get them until June. And there's no point in buying the awful California grocery store kind so I'll be waiting a while longer...

But when they come I am anxious to make Dorie Greenspan's strawberry tart with creme fraiche again. A nice, less common dessert. I also had raves when I made Ina Garten's Strawberry Country Cake--I'm going to need to try the CI one mentioned above.

I'll be making one or more of the following: Strawberry charlotte russe, strawberry coffee cake, strawberry cream pie, chocolate layer cake with strawberries and whipped cream....

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

I help out in my friend's commercial kitchen making truffles, jams/jellies/curds, and mochi. Check out the Strawberry Mochi aka "Ichigo Daifuku" (Fresh strawberries wrapped in red bean paste, then wrapped in mochi.

He also sells fresh strawberries from Rincon Farms in Waimea, Hawaii. These berries are best eaten "ASIS". So "very"...Very juicy, very fragrant, and very tasty!!!

This weekend we made strawberry/ passion fruit margaritas for close to 25 people.. We then had all this left over strawberry juice .. So last night we made strawberry marscapone tarts. With the tarts we took vanilla ice cream and blended with the left over strawberry juice.. It was pretty amazing..

Edited by Daniel (log)

My favorite use lately has been to marinate them in a little merlot, basalmic vinager and sugar, normally 4 times wine to basalmic and sugar to taste. Then put that over anything at all ice cream pound cake, use the sauce to flavor whipped cream.... darn I love spring.

Jonathan

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever.

Aristophanes