• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Antigriddle substitute

arbeck

I just got my access to the Alinea Mosaic website, and I'm really interested in one recipe. But the caveat is that it calls for an antigriddle. I of course do not own one, and I don't see myself shelling out the money for one. It did get me to think though about a substitute.

What if you sandwiched some dry ice between to aluminum sheet pans? The temperature of dry ice is well below the surface of the anti griddle, so it should work. I'm curious though as to whether or not anyone has tried this.

Whoa... I say go for it, take photos, and post here. I'm curious if: A) This works; and B) What I could do with something like this.

What does one use an antigriddle for, anyway?

freezing the usually unfreezable...like olive oil and maple syrup

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I just got my access to the Alinea Mosaic website, and I'm really interested in one recipe.  But the caveat is that it calls for an antigriddle.  I of course do not own one, and I don't see myself shelling out the money for one.  It did get me to think though about a substitute.

What if you sandwiched some dry ice between to aluminum sheet pans?  The temperature of dry ice is well below the surface of the anti griddle, so it should work.  I'm curious though as to whether or not anyone has tried this.

Before I even read your post I thought the same thing. Do try it.

For the sake of experimentation...would you even need the aluminum sheet pans? Why not use the surface of the dry ice to cook with? I imagine it will pit somewhat quickly, but it should be doable for a course.

Also, Nick mentioned that the first anti-griddle was just the back of a spatula sitting on a block of dry ice....Certainly enough to try things out!

For the sake of experimentation...would you even need the aluminum sheet pans?  Why not use the surface of the dry ice to cook with?  I imagine it will pit somewhat quickly, but it should be doable for a course.

Also, Nick mentioned that the first anti-griddle was just the back of a spatula sitting on a block of dry ice....Certainly enough to try things out!

I think it'd be easier to remove an item off a flat surface like a pan or spatula than a block of ice.

I've done the dry ice trick before. Sanded the surface flat with my orbital sander and used 2 sheets of aluminum foil over the top. We did it to form little discs of Stilton ice cream. They came out like little wafers - worked very well.

• 2 weeks later...

you could try getting some copper sheet from something like McMaster Carr

www.mcmaster.com

and place some dry ice or liquid nitrogen in a sheet pan with a copper sheet placed over the top.

-Lyle

edit: you might want to get a styrofoam container to place the sheet pan in to insulate it

Edited by s0rce (log)

Professional Scientist (in training)

Amateur Cook