• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tomato Pie that rivals Delorenzo's

Jeff L

So last night I'm browsing through the very pretty, very yuppie Bucks County Town and Country Living magazine and I notice an article entitled "lunch", a trip to four of Bucks County's favorite lunch spots. I get to the last one and it's a BYO place in Morrisville, PA called la Villa and it claims to make a great tomato pie, even better than Delorenzo's in Trenton. It's a traditional restaurant and has a bunch of traditional Southern Italian things and some pretty cool things that are not at all traditional such as their Tuscany salad which consists of grilled chicken and shrimp, goat cheese, roasted peppers, walnuts, and cranberries atop a spring mix of greens all drizzled with the requisite balsamic dressing. Sounds terrific, just what my wife would love save for the shrimp. They also have a lunch buffet for like 8 bucks which looks amazing from the pictures and in person.

On to the tomato pie. Among the standard sizes, they also have 8" personal pies and that's what I just had. I always get fresh garlic and nothing else, it's my way of judging quality. The pie comes out on a nice glass plate (looked like it could have come from Italy) and it's chock full of nicely diced tomato, just enough cheese and a hint of oregano. The crust was perfectly charred and with just the right thickness (I should really say thin-ness) When I bit into the first slice, bingo this is the real deal. Firm to the bite yielding to a very nice flavorful pizza. I must say that after Delorenzo's this is my favorite pie and it is a close second indeed.

I devoured the pie in record time. As I go up to pay, I recognize the guy from the article and told him how much I enjoyed his tomato pie. I started by saying lots of people claim to make a great tomato pie in the Trenton style but few ever pull it off. Gino Lenti proceeds to tell me they've been there for over 9 years and that business has just started to pick up in the past year of so. I ask how it's possible I never heard of this place and he tells me about his home town of Calabria and the other place they own in Manayunk called Bella Trattoria. My daughter has been and liked it but I was never there.

A few nice changes from Delorenzo's on Hudson Street:

1. Clean bathrooms, hell just bathrooms!

2. Really nice servers and even nicer owners

3. Other things on the menu in addition to the excellent tomato pie

4. Much safer neighborhood

5. Easy on and off Route 1 Just over the pay bridge in Morrisville

6. Regular hours

As I hand Gino the check with my money he says "no it's on me today" I say no way but he insists. A class act and a really nice guy. I'll be back, spread the word.

La Villa

21 S. Pennsylvania Avenue

Morrisville, PA

215 736-3116

Edited by Jeff L (log)

I've stopped in there twice since La Villa hung the banner outside advertising "Trenton Style Tomato Pie", and I have to agree, Jeff, that it IS very good. I still do think that both locations of Pete's Steak House, on Hudson St in Chambersburg, and on North Olden Ave. in Ewing make as good a tomato pie as La Villa, and that Palermo's, on Rte 206 in Bordentown (just north of Mastoris' Diner) and on Lower Ferry Rd in Ewing make a VERY VERY good tomato pie as well. Also worth checking out, Jeff.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Not a big fan of Pete's pies.

I've been meaning to get over to Palermo's in Ewing for some time now. Several people whose opinion I value when it comes to great pizza have suggested this place.

I have been away from this site for a while, and am happy to read about La Villa. I live five minutes away and have never been there. Now it is on my list. It opened as a Pizza Hut many years ago, and its been in its present incarnation for many years.

We have been to Palermo's in Ewing many times, and the pizza is very good. It is the only place in the Ewing area that we will ever order pizza.

I did not even know that Pete's, a place I pass many times during any one week, even serves pizze. Will have to try it.

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well." - Virginia Woolf

I have been away from this site for a while, and am happy to read about La Villa. I live five minutes away and have never been there. Now it is on my list. It opened as a Pizza Hut many years ago, and its been in its present incarnation for many years.

We have been to Palermo's in Ewing many times, and the pizza is very good. It is the only place in the Ewing area that we will ever order pizza.

I did not even know that Pete's, a place I pass many times during any one week, even serves pizze. Will have to try it.

Aaron, I too remember when this space was a pizza hut, that coupled with the fact that the exterior is so unremarkable, (I'm being kind here!)I chose not to go in.

I'm glad I read the article and tried their tomato pie, I think you will like it. Gino made me promise to try his thin crust Sicilian next time around which I will do. Let us know what you think.

and that Palermo's, on Rte 206 in Bordentown (just north of Mastoris' Diner) and on Lower Ferry Rd in Ewing make a VERY VERY good tomato pie as well.  Also worth checking out, Jeff.

I had the tomato pie at Palermo's in Ewing today. It was good but not even close to Delorenzo's. I liked their crust but found the tomato they used to be lacking. I've come to realize that nothing is really that close to Delorenzo's, it's just that good!

I'll be going back to La Villa next week to try his thin crust sicilian style pie and will report back.

My secert is now out in public. Sometimes you have to keep one place to yourself. I might have to go this week again. My son will only eat that pizza. I guess i tought him well

<span style='color:red'><i>Todd Lean

Email me

My secert is now out in public. Sometimes you have to keep one place to yourself. I might have to go this week again. My son will only eat that pizza. I guess i tought him well

Which place Todd, Delorenzo's I presume?

PS: We are missing Mandoline big time, hope you are doing well

Edited by Jeff L (log)