• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saskatoon in June

I'll be visiting Saskatoon in June, and I'd love to hear about e-gulleters' favourite restaurants, and any particular dishes you would recommend.

I'd especially be interested in restaurants/establishments that tend to use Western Canadian ingredients, rather than imported.

I am hoping to finally try Weczeria on this trip. What are your favourite dishes at Weczeria?

I will be attending a wedding at the Willows, so I'm hesitant to make a return trip to the golf course, unless the food in the dining room is outstanding. The choices on the Willow's dinner menu looked a little ordinary to me.

What are your other upscale favourites?

I'm bound to end up at a few family restaurants in Saskatoon, so I'd love to hear which family-style restaurants e-gulleters consider their favourite. Which has the best ribs? Or the best frajolaki?

Which restaurants (any price point) serve the best desserts in Saskatoon? And best breakfasts?

Also, are there any upscale bars or lounges serving good cocktails that attract a mostly 30something crowd?

Thanks for any of your input!

Thanks for the interest. June is the beginning of the farmer's market at it's best, so we are using alot of product from there. I just received the first tomato's pof the season, some great beef steak and roma's. So I am looking forward to the summer season.

As for an upscale bar, you can go either to Flint or to 612 lounge in the Shearton. Dessert places would be Calories, which is also a great dining spot. Breakfast, I would suggest the Park cafe on 20th Street and the broadway Cafe on Braodway, just around the corner from me.

As for ribs or Greek food, I don't eat out at these places to often, so I am really no help there.

calories, truffles, and Simon's are all restaurants that use alot of Sask product.

Dan Walker

Chef/Owner

Weczeria Restaurant

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the interest.  June is the beginning of the farmer's market at it's best, so we are using alot of product from there.  I just received the first tomato's pof the season, some great beef steak and roma's. So I am looking forward to the summer season. 

As for an upscale bar, you can go either to Flint or to 612 lounge in the Shearton.  Dessert places would be Calories, which is also a great dining spot.  Breakfast, I would suggest the Park cafe on 20th Street and the broadway Cafe on Braodway, just around the corner from me. 

As for ribs or Greek food, I don't eat out at these places to often, so I am really no help there.

calories, truffles, and Simon's are all restaurants that use alot of Sask product.

Thanks for your input, Dan.

Would you recommend any specific breakfast dishes at the Broadway Cafe or the Park Cafe?

Didn't have a very good experience at Simon's last summer, but I'll try to give Calories and Truffles a try, in addition to Weczeria.

Looking forward to the trip, and visiting your restaurant!

Edited by phoenikia (log)

No, there are not really one dish or dish's that I would recommend. I have tried just abour everything on the menus, so I have no real favorites. I usually just vary what i eat whenever I am out. Unfortunalty, Simon's closed this past week. I have also heard that Pesto's which is aroundthe corner from me is also closing soon. We did have an addition to the area in Keo's Kitchen, which is a great Thai place. The market is really starting to explode with stuff, so things are looking up for us. Dan

Dan Walker

Chef/Owner

Weczeria Restaurant

If you go to Calories and the rabbit paté is on the menu, it's fantastic. Calories is good for lunch--the sandwiches are great. I used to live across the street and have a nostalgia for their California club on wild rice bread--kind of nineties-style, but that's the nostalgia part. For dessert, try the Schmoo Torte--you don't see that every day! Caramel sauce on a pecan-chiffon--it's soooo good!

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

• 2 weeks later...

The new owner of Bliss gets the keys July 1rst then he wil spend two months renoing it, so you could say around Sept ? That is the word on the street that I have heard.

Dan Walker

Chef/Owner

Weczeria Restaurant

I'll be visiting Saskatoon in June, and I'd love to hear about e-gulleters' favourite restaurants, and any particular dishes you would recommend.

I'd especially be interested in restaurants/establishments that tend to use Western Canadian ingredients, rather than imported.

I am hoping to finally try Weczeria on this trip. What are your favourite dishes at Weczeria?

I will be attending a wedding at the Willows, so I'm hesitant to make a return trip to the golf course, unless the food in the dining room is outstanding. The choices on the Willow's dinner menu looked a little ordinary to me.

What are your other upscale favourites?

I'm bound to end up at a few family restaurants in Saskatoon, so I'd love to hear which family-style restaurants e-gulleters consider their favourite. Which has the best ribs? Or the best frajolaki?

Which restaurants (any price point) serve the best desserts in Saskatoon? And best breakfasts?

Also, are there any upscale bars or lounges serving good cocktails that attract a mostly 30something crowd?

Thanks for any of your input!

hey saskatoon !!

are you only looking fine® dining ?

if you can eat at the OTHER golf club , Riverside, try to go ,

Peter Phillips is arguably one of the best chefs in the west .

Faculty Club has an excellent chef, they have member-for-a-day cards , you can call their office, they do a buffet lunch Mon through Fri, casual in a pretty room, beautiful patio, nice staff.

I know it's Earls, but it's the best Earls we have been to ( sadly it was our first Earls and we thought they were all good ! lol )

At the Broadway Diner, our crew loves the omelettes, the burgers, the milkshakes.

I actually prefer dinner to lunch at Calories, nice easy relaxed pacing, pretty food, very very good dessert.

Burgers at fuddruckers.

And if I could only get Saskatoon Asian ( second floor across from Scotia Centre ) in Vancouver, we would be SO happy !! so so good !!

good luck and have fun : )

hey saskatoon !!

are you only looking fine® dining ?

if you can eat at the OTHER golf club , Riverside, try to go ,

Peter Phillips is arguably one of the best chefs in the west .

Faculty Club has an excellent chef, they have member-for-a-day cards , you can call their office, they do a buffet lunch Mon through Fri, casual in a pretty room, beautiful patio, nice staff.

I know it's Earls, but it's the best Earls we have been to ( sadly it was our first Earls and we thought they were all good ! lol )

At the Broadway Diner, our crew loves the omelettes, the burgers, the milkshakes.

I actually prefer dinner to lunch at Calories, nice easy relaxed pacing, pretty food, very very good dessert.

Burgers at fuddruckers.

And if I could only get Saskatoon Asian ( second floor across from Scotia Centre ) in Vancouver, we would be SO happy !! so so good !!

good luck and have fun : )

Thanks for your feedback. I'll keep your suggestions in mind for my next trip.

These are the places I visited during my time in Saskatoon:

Koutouki Taverna: delicious mezes, generous portions. The mains (the moussaka and a lamb, artichoke and fava bean fricasee) were massive. The lamb was unbelievably tender, but it was too salty for my taste. I tend to like mezes better than mains in most Greek restos, so I'd probably stick to mezes on a future visit. The feta that came with their horta was creamy- one of the best fetas I've tasted.Their dolmades were some of the best I've ordered in a restaurant- and that's a dish I usually order if it's offered. Their village salad (horiatiki) was a good one- really liked the olive oil they use in their kitchen.

Faculty Club at U of S: The lunch buffet was decent, but not too memorable. A week later, I can't remember what I had, apart from the Waldorf salad and the Vegetable curry. Pretty much the same as my last visit a year ago. The chocolate dessert- sort of a fallen chocolate cake, was delicious.

Truffles Bistro & Patisserie: Their fish special, the Lake Diefenbaker trout was delicious- too bad it was slightly undercooked along one edge. I really enjoyed each part of my Salad Trio as well.

Boffins Club: The housemade porcini noodles with tomatoes and a cream sauce were served al dente. Toothsome and delish. Beautiful atmosphere and great service. I hope to visit this place on future trips to Saskatoon.

The Ivy: I was pleasantly surprised by the Ivy. Shared some appetizers with friends. Their fried calamari was tender and had a crisp coating. Their spring rolls were tasty- something I didn't expect. The Eggplant Parmesan was surprisingly good. More crisp/al dente than traditional versions, but I really enjoyed it.

The Willows: Was a guest at a wedding reception here. The food was good, but not special in any way. I kind of expected something more contemporary- this was a standard Saskatchewan buffet wedding fare. Might have had more to do with the bride and grooms' taste than the Willows' kitchen's capabilities. Potato salad, crudites, a pickle and olive tray/ roast potatoes, broc/cauliflower/carrots and roast chicken.

Genesis: dim sum at Genesis. This place is still great. Pretty much equal quality and value to Rol San on Spadina in Toronto.

Saskatoon Station Place: One big family dinner ended up taking place here. The youvarlakia & village salad were ok. A little generous with the onions and skimpy with the feta on the salad, but I guess that's better for my waistline. Never know what I should order when I end up at this place, since I'm not a big meat eater and I avoid imported and/or frozen shellfish/ocean fish which usually make up most of the seafood options in family restaurants.

Windows at the Sheraton: Had a couple breakfasts here. Such a nice setting, facing the park. Too bad the food continues to be mediocre. Had the buffet once- quite disappointing, since I don't really like eating imported fruit, especially during saskatoon, strawberry and cherry season, and I'm not a croissant/waffle/ scrambled egg kind of gal. As soon as I started to fill my plate, I realized I should have stuck with the carte.

The next time I had breakfast at Windows, I had the smoked salmon, cream cheese and bagel off the menu. The bagel and smoked salmon were standard supermarket quality, and there was only about a tablespoon of cream cheese on the plate, but all in all, it was fine. I wish Windows would add some more savoury/ non-egg breakfast dishes to the menu.

I didn't end up having much control over dining destinations on this trip- hope to visit Weczeria & Bliss on my next visit;)

• 2 years later...

Bumping this old thread, since I'll be returning to Saskatoon.

Besides Weczeria, Truffles, Bliss and Calories, are any other somewhat upscale restaurants in Saskatoon focusing on local ingredients? Which restaurants could handle a group of 12-14 people?

Thanks for any comments you might have!