• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Competition 29: All About You

At one of those mushy-headed workshops at work ten years ago about team building, self-esteem or whatever the catchphrase of the year was that year, some “facilitator” like Greg Kinnear in Little Miss Sunshine asked us to write down three things that would make us feel complete before we died. We were admonished to avoid things like “end world hunger” or “I want a grandchild” – we were to be as selfish and self absorbed as possible.

My scribbles, smacked down eating stale Danish were: 1) I want to christen an ocean liner, wearing a staggeringly expensive hat. 2) I want a rose named after me. 3) I want a dish named after me, and pizza Margherita doesn’t count, much as I love it.

Naming a dish after a sleb is, of course, nothing new, from Sauce Bechamel through Peches Melba. If Vatel, Ranhofer or the ‘Scoff were to create in your honor, of what would it be composed? How would you represent?

Man, its tough! I’d want pork, fried, sauce, mashed potatoes, asparagus tips, raw Malpeques and quenelles of pike.

Your task is to do better than I. Describe the dish that would be your signature, with garnish, plating, even pix. Tell us why it’s all about you.

The deadline is June 15th. The three top egomaniacs and wittiest writers will earn their place in the sun at Daily Gullet . Numero uno will win a cookbook.

Please don’t post your replies on this topic. Put them here.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com