• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sugar syrup, crystallizing

Sif

I made dandelion syrup yesterday. The recipe goes as follows

1 litre fresh dandelion flowers

1 litre of water

1300 grams granulated sugar

Pick petals from flowers, boil in water for 10 minutes as sift through a cloth. Add sugar to water and boil to 115 C.

I made sure not to stir, and bottled it when it had cooled to room temp.

It was perfect yesterday, and now I have a huge chunk of dandelion sugar with a bit of liquid on top. What went wrong? Too much sugar? And can I save it? It's supposed to be used as a vegan sub for honey, so it needs to be fairly thick.

If my math works out that was too hot....you may be able to remelt with a spoonful of corn syrup to prevent recrystalization

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

can you tell me about this syrup ..

eta (I just realized you said it was a vegan honey) ..

how does it taste?

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Thanks. I can't get cream of tartar, but it's an acid, right? Can I use lemon juice instead? I'll try to boil it to a lower temp and add glucose.

It tastes like a very mild honey - difficult to describe, but it's delicious. Really delicious. I'm not vegan anymore, but I still make it, because I find honey to strong.

i used to always have problems with recrystallization, until somebody told me to store syrups in the refrigerator. Never have that problem anymore.

However, I think it might be something with the concentration, which in that case, some corn syrup or lemon juice will probably reduce your chances of recrystalization.

I have had problems with recrystallization in my caramel if I let the mixture come to a boil BEFORE all the sugar crystals are dissolved. Regarding stirring, I don't stir once it comes to a boil, but sometimes I do jiggle the pan just to make sure the heat disperses evenly.

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe