• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nostalgia-Evoking Candy

col klink

Yup, somehow I was attacked by a feral sweet tooth and picked up this little item I haven't seem in years:

Abba Zaba!

I blame Dave Chappelle: "Abba-Zaba, you're my only friend"

It was horrible!  But I don't like taffy, it always feels like it's trying to pull out my fillings.

Two more favorites...

Glee Gum (Tangerine. Cinnamon & Peppermint also avail.)

Here are the ingredients: Ingredients: Cane, Sugar, Gum Base (contains natural chicle), Rice Syrup, Orange Oil, Tangerine Oil, Resinous, Glaze, Beeswax, Carnauba Wax, and Beta Carotene

Chocolate Velamints (the best Sugar Free candy in existence, I think...)

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

i used to love the Marathon bar from mars.  apparently, it was taken off the shelves in 1981, which makes me feel very old.

and, in my research to find the below picture, i found out that they had a marathon bar in the UK as well, but it was chocolate, caramel and peanuts, aka Snickers.

0318231w.jpeg

You all are causing me a tremendous amount of pain and pleasure. Ah, the marathon bar. I remember that one. It was a long braided caramel candy bar covered in chocolate. I haven't thought about that in years--now I miss it terribly and I wonder if I will recover.

Has anyone encountered the "Mr. Big" bar? It's Canadian (go figure) and happens to be really good but I bought it for Steven many years ago because of the humor element. The slogan "when you're this big, they call you Mister" puts it over the top. In the past year or two, they removed the slogan thereby turning the candy bar into only a moderately appealing confection. I got more mileage from that candy bar--had I only known the Canadians would become as Puritanical as we are, I would surely have stocked up!

Ellen Shapiro

www.byellen.com

Sorry. None of these candy bars beats the ultimate classic candy bar experience:

The Goldenberg Peanut Chew. Accept no substitutions.

Goldenberg Candy Inc. (web site)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to remember what these things were: baseball bats made of taffy? I think I had them at summer camp in the 70s. Something on a stick, with baseball language. I need help.

Hey Liza, I think I remember something like that. Were they called B-Bats? And did they come in many colors, I mean flavors?  :)

I ate a lot of Fun Dip in the late 70s-early 80s.

That's it! I remember banana flavor. Fun dip - was that a stick of sugar used to scoop up more sugar? No wonder we loved playing running bases.

I think we should start a camp food thread somewhere.  . .

Yeah, with Fun Dip you got a hard sugar stick and one, two, or three packets of colored sugar with citric acid or some such to make it tart. I ate mostly one-packet Fun Dips because that's what they sold at the snack bar by the pool where I swam as a kid. The three-packet ones came with TWO sugar sticks! Then they started making "color changing" sugars that were pink until they came in contact with liquid (ie, your saliva) when they turned blue.

Once I reminisced about Fun Dip to my partner Erin, and he confessed he'd loved it as a kid too. A week or so later I went into one of those Sweet Factory stores on a whim and lo and behold, they sold three-packet Fun Dip! I bought two of them and brought them home. Erin ripped into his and immediately declared it the most disgusting thing he'd put in his mouth in years (and I don't mean gleefully disgusting, I mean disgusting disgusting). I couldn't even bring myself to taste mine after hearing that. Wah.

Candy is the campiest of campy food. I mean it's the most overwhelmingly campy category of food. Even campier than Velveeta.

• 5 months later...

I never used to eat chocolate, but after having kids I crave it close to every day. I usually reach for M&M's, but if I go for a candy bar it will be a Kit Kat. My favorite bar of all times though was the Summit bar, it was out for a short time in the '80's, sometimes I still dream about it!

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

My all time favorite candy is Viennese Butter Crunch. I can never go through O'hare withoout buying a bagful at one of those Aunty whatever candy shoppees.

Commercial candy bars I avoid, but Almond Joys will get me in a pinch.

Chunkie--haven't thought about those in years, they were good!  Do they still make them?

Oh yes indeedy!

Aside: when I lived in Jerusalem I worked at an institute for Jewish Studies, and many of the students were from the States. During the Gulf War period, there were fewer than the regular number of applications for that January semester. As D-Day drew nearer, the American office kept sending silly messages like, "Can we help you in any way?" or "Can we do anything for you?" Our pat answer was: "Yes -- send chocolate!" And one day, in the middle of the damned war, this new kid walks into the office with a huge plastic bag filled with -- M&M's (plain and peanuts), Kitkats, Mounds bars, Hershey's kisses, you name it, it was in there. And it helped, oh boy did it help! :biggrin:

Caramello! Those things are awesome. I like Twix too. And Mounds--love that coconut filling.

Maltballs are good too...especially when they're double-dipped in chocolate. You know, malt is underrated, in my opinion. A good chocolate malt is pretty damn terrific.

Caramello! Those things are awesome. I like Twix too. And Mounds--love that coconut filling.

Maltballs are good too...especially when they're double-dipped in chocolate. You know, malt is underrated, in my opinion. A good chocolate malt is pretty damn terrific.

I used to love the Cadburrys malt ball sold in India. Nothing has ever compared and come even close.

Also they sold an item called "Nutties" , it was my favorit sweet.