• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nostalgia-Evoking Candy

col klink

...And umm, ice cubes the little hazelnut chocolates.

and and and....

Well, I was actually the first to mention them on page one but who's counting. :raz:

They were two cents when I was a kid. While candy bars & chips were a nickel. So you could use up any stray pennies with an ice cube. Kept 'em right by the register for just such an emergency.

So I guess that's my two cents...

Edited by K8memphis (log)

You may be able to find some of your favorites:

Home Town Favorites Candy Store

Sweet Nostalgia Candy Store

OMG- Sweet Nostalgia has Space Food Sticks! and Razzles!

I just had to check for the heck of it. What do I do now that I am armed with this information, that is the question....Do I risk ruining my memories of the stuff by finding out that they are, in reality, quite a bit worse than I remember. What a dilemma!

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Anyone remember the candy fizzy tablets you could drop into water.  My brother was crazy about those.  Ne not so much; I hate carbonation.

Oooohhhh-- I loved Fizzies! Like fake fruit-flavored Alka-Seltzers!

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

• 2 weeks later...

Our treat would be Sky Bars.

I got the caramel section, my sister the vanilla and my grandfather got the other two.

Fizzies. We just skipped the water and put them on our tongues.

Pixie straws.

Now adays it's Resse's mini peanut butter cups that do it for me.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Does anyone remember Ice Cubes?  Little cubes of chocolate wrapped in foil that actually seemed icy cold in you mouth?

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGG, Ice Cubes ! Yes, they were wonderful !! There was a little "5 and Dime/Liquor Store" on my way home from school, and I used to buy Ice Cubes there with my left-over lunch money. They were sooooo good.

And to the poster who was extolling the ribbon Christmas candy, I would add, ALL the old Christmas hard candies that used to be so popular in the late 50's and 60's. The ribbon candy and the cut peppermints with the decorations on the inside (like Christmas trees, wreaths, bells, holly, they were almost like candy canes, but nuggets and multi-color) and ESPECIALLY those filled, thin-shell candies that had jams and chocolate inside with fruit flavors in the shell. Oh, they were good. I look for those Christmas hard candy assortments each year, and I'll be dipped if I can find 'em..........Sure wish I could.........

That Christmas candy is now sold under the name "Cut Rock"; I believe it's made by (sp?) Brach's. And you KNOW if they have it commercially, you can find better stuff somewhere else! Try this place: http://www.candy4u.com/chriscutrocc.html

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

OK, just a head's up for you, Razzles are EXACTLY THE SAME, and the Space Sticks are as well. The 'good' Space Stick flavors, like caramel and peanut butter, have not been duplicated, so you are stuck with the awful 'chocolate'. I had some imported a few years ago, and I sold every box after the first on ebaY. They're THAT bad. In all my historic gluttony, I actually didn't eat them all.

It still takes 2 or 3 Razzles to make a decent sized wad of gum, there's very little stretch for a bubble, and the texture is still, um, unique.

Thanks for the reply Rebecca- I had it in mind last week when I was at Epcot. One of the gift shops there was selling the Space Food Sticks and I was able to resist the pull of nostalgia; I was torn, true enough, but evenually decided that my money was probably better spent elsewhere. Sometimes it is best not to ruin a fond memory.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Just can not remember the name, but it was sold as a big single blob with coconut and milk chocolate on the outside, then a cherry filling. I want to think marshmallow entered into the picture, but that is just probably fantasy.

Two of my favorites: Cherry Mash with the vibrant red cherry filling and milk chocolate outside... also, loved cherry lipstick. Individually wrapped in foil except the last 1/2 inch to resemble a lipstick without cap. The chalky lipstick had a unique cherry flavor.

Pez, saltwater taffy, lemon drops, good n plenty.  When I was young and we lived in Philly you could get Italian Ice and it came with a little wooden spoon (more like a paddle).  I hated the texture of the spoon on my tongue.  The little wax bottles with juice in them was really cool as were the wax lips/vampire fangs.  As I seem to recall they became much less popular with parents when some kids started choking on them.

Tootsie pops, red hots, raisinets

Speaking of wax, I remember a wax harmonica, orange in color if not flavor I do believe.

• Delicious 1

Chocolite Bars!

They were aerated chocolate and so good I can't figure out why you can't get them anymore. I was in Quebec last fall and discovered the "Aero Bar"... I ate a lot of chocolate in Quebec.

Amy in Michigan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 14 years later...

Couldn't find anything on this topic when I did a search.  Sorry if I'm duplicating.  

During a trip to NC Wednesday, we stopped in the village of Meherrin VA for drinks.  The gas station/convenience store had a great selection of nostalgic candies.  Lots of small sizes, so it was similar to an old-fashioned penny candy store.  I can’t remember what these little boxes cost, but there were tons of different varieties – Lemonheads, Boston Baked Beans, etc.:

1-IMG_0269.jpg.dcd355b8b46354bad84849870b547e0f.jpg

They also had seemingly every Now & Later flavor made in little 25¢ 6-piece packets:

1-IMG_0270.thumb.jpg.0b402197cd14fecbe80c004eb6ffa92b.jpg

• Like 4

Those Boston Baked Beans I remember being in the dispensers where you put n a couple cents, tuned the dial, and openedflap to have it pour into your hand. Sometimes stale, sometimes good.  My cousins and I would walk from grandparent house quite a few blocks to Kresge - a 5 & Dime that had a huge display of all those types of candy. We were maybe 5 to7 years old.  different era.

• Like 4

My dad loved Boston Baked Beans, which I was able to find for him now and again, also Chicken Bones, which were much harder to find, and Licorice Kids which were probably the easiest to find. The one thing I could never find locally for him was Redskin Peanuts. I did order them for him onlilne a couple of times but they are non-existant in these parts nowadays. I have had a similar problem this year finding salted peanuts in the shell which were always a go to camping treat for my husband. Lots of peanuts in the shell available, but I have not seen the salted ones anywhere I've looked. They were always right along side the unsalted ones.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, MaryIsobel said:

I have had a similar problem this year finding salted peanuts in the shell which were always a go to camping treat for my husband. Lots of peanuts in the shell available, but I have not seen the salted ones anywhere I've looked. They were always right along side the unsalted ones.

I usually find them during MLB baseball season.  Here in L.A. the companies do up the packaging with the local team logo(Los Angeles Dodgers). Usually in produce aisle.

• Thanks 1

My wife loved Candy Dots (or buttons). Long, narrow sheets of paper with dots of candy along them. 

When I was a kid my aunt and uncle owned an old fashioned ‘candy store’ in Coney Island. It had a counter you could order at and one end was full of bins of all the candies we now find in stores that sell only that. I remember wax bottles, banana candy, and so much more.  My most vivid memory is of my uncle making frappes with a cigar hanging out of his mouth. 

• Like 4

Oh yes candy cigarettes and cigars. Wax lips. And the candy necklaces and bracelets. A ot of tourist places used to repcate the candy store wkth bins of the old fashioned stuff. Still exist?> And our childhood fascination - salt water taffy. The candy store on Catalina (Santa Catalina Islamd) had a display window with an electronic machine that pulled and stretched it. It did not even taste like much but we were in awe?  https://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g29121-d6796045-i130635926-Lloyd_s_of_Avalon_Confectionary-Avalon_Catalina_Island_California.html

• Like 3

I (think?) I may be a bit younger but I loved to those sugar dots on paper. Candy cigarettes- not so much the bubble gum ones but the sugar stick ones. 
I love anything banana  flavored like the Now or Laters. I’d be scared they’d mess with my veneers now. 

Pop Rocks were always a lot of fun. 

A few years ago I ordered a “vintage” candy collection from Dylan’s Candy Bar and they had those wax mini bottles with sugar syrup and a Candy necklace along with a ton of things. 

I’m going to go brush my teeth at the thought of all this sugar! 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Zagnut candy bars. Never see them any more. Stopped at a convenience store in SE TN earlier this week and they had candy cigarettes.

ETA: Zagnuts can be ordered on Amazon.

Edited by kayb (log)
  • Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

9 hours ago, heidih said:

Oh! and Ice Cubes - first had them on Catalina. The link is to Economy an NYC candy wonderlamd https://economycandy.com/product/ice-cubes-milk-chocolate/

You've been here?

What we really like about Economy (other than the fact it's only a few minute walk away, is the "penny" candy - all displayed in bins along the front windows of the store. While they're not a penny any more, they are sold by the pound, and it's all mix and match fun. Think mini tootsie rolls, Mary Janes, et al.

They also have one of the great PEZ dispenser collections.

Edited by weinoo (log)
  • Like 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?