• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nostalgia-Evoking Candy

col klink

I haven't seen those Ice cream cups in years!!! You mean they are still out there?  Not in Northern Ontario...

I guess I will have to check next time I am in the city then!  I will have to put it on my things to do list!

Thanks!

I see them sometimes in emerg. I'll make sure you get some next time I'm up north.

How about those vanilla ice cream cylinders that you unwrapped from a cardboard tube and pressed into a cone?

Popcorn balls. Candy coated popcorn compressed into a sphere the size of a baseball and wrapped in celophane.

Chris

Cookbooks are full of stirring passages

I was a sucker for cracker jack & pink elephant popcorn.  I recently tried them lately and for some reason they just didn't satisfy me like they did when I was younger.  Why is that? 

I miss the little cups of ice cream that came with a little wooden spoon on the lid.  :wub:

As far as I know, you can still get ice cream like that, can't you?

You can, but the lids aren't on the lids anymore, they come wrapped in paper in the bags that they're sold in... typically 6-8 to a bag, in vanilla, vanilla with chocolate sauce, vanilla with strawberry sauce, and vanilla with an orange sherbet swirl.

I miss Zotz, which are hard candies with fizzy stuff inside.

I still see lots of the candies that are being remembered in the grocery stores and Target.

Cheryl

Ribbon Candy - We always had it at Christmas time. It had to be the thin kind not the thick. I haven't had any for over 15 years.

Anyone know if they still make it?

My brother used to like Seven-Up Bars - 7 different bites of candy in a row all stuck together with chocolate. There was caramel, fudge, coconut, and others.

Softee Toffees were a favourite for me - all except the coffee flavoured ones (still don't like coffee flavoured sweets of any type).

Others

- Mike and Ikes, Hot Tamales

- candy necklaces, bracelets

- loved the Pop Rocks

- soap candies! Hated them at first, but later really fond of them.

- marshmallow filled mini "ice cream" cones, and marshmallow anything (except the marshmallow bananas - hated the fake banana flavour)

- Mojos - once I'd spent my candy allowance on other goodies, any leftover pennies would buy a couple of mojos per penny.

ETA:

Almost forgot - garbage can candy!

http://candyaddict.com/blog/2008/04/02/ret...garbage-can-dy/

Edited by run2eat (log)

As long as it had chocolate and/or nuts, it was for me. Paydays were the only non-chocolate candy that I loved since it was covered with peanuts. I just didn't care for those candies that were basically flavored sugar-- if it wasn't chocolate, it was not proper candy as far as I was concerned. I'd have some out of desperation if that was all that was around. Crackerjack was ok since it had peanuts-- I'd save the nuts for last. Geez, I had forgotten about this-- They used to come in a 3-pack and they, or LifeSavers, was a Sunday afternoon treat for us five kids in the family. Dad would get a couple 3-packs of the Crackerjack, or I think a 6-pack of assorted LifeSavers. He'd switch the labels on the LifeSavers so we wouldn't know what flavor we were actually getting. OK-- I did like LifeSavers too. Probably the big thing about getting those was that each of us could have an entire pack to ourselves! I guess he and Mom would share the sixth Crackerjack or LifeSaver pack that was left. :wub:

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

Ribbon Candy - We always had it at Christmas time. It had to be the thin kind not the thick.  I haven't had any for over 15 years.

Anyone know if they still make it?

My brother used to like Seven-Up Bars - 7 different bites of candy in a row all stuck together with chocolate. There was caramel, fudge, coconut, and others.

There is a store near me that carries several varieties around Christmas time. One brand go so far as to declare itself "the thinnest". I'm with you, the thinner the better.

My favorite was Bonomo's Turkish Taffy. There is a website implying that someone is bringing the product back. I contact them and they said they are still working on it. That was last year. The website is here...

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

OK, I'll give. What are soap candies?

I miss those peppermints that were red and white striped but weren't hard - they were like solidified foam. King Leo comes close. Then there were the clove flavored hard candy sticks....

Pez, saltwater taffy, lemon drops, good n plenty. When I was young and we lived in Philly you could get Italian Ice and it came with a little wooden spoon (more like a paddle). I hated the texture of the spoon on my tongue. The little wax bottles with juice in them was really cool as were the wax lips/vampire fangs. As I seem to recall they became much less popular with parents when some kids started choking on them.

Tootsie pops, red hots, raisinets

OK, I'll give. What are soap candies?

I miss those peppermints that were red and white striped but weren't hard - they were like solidified foam. King Leo comes close. Then there were the clove flavored hard candy sticks....

They are small, ju-jube like candies that taste very perfumey and soapy. After the initial aversion :blink: , they are/were positively addictive :biggrin:

Weren't Black Cows like a Sugar Daddy covered in chocolate? Glad to see that Bonomo Turkish Taffy might come back. The chocolate was so good it made you drool while you ate it!

Does anyone remember Ice Cubes? Little cubes of chocolate wrapped in foil that actually seemed icy cold in you mouth?

KathyM

Jujubes rule. They were my favorite movie candies because they lasted so long.

Mary Janes and Squirrel Nut Caramels are still favorites, and the gift shop at the hospital where I work has them 2 for $.15. Guess who takes a walk to the store every afternoon..............They also have the Lik-M-Aid packets, individually wrapped sour patch kids, Swedish fish and Bit-o-Honey. And teeny, tiny packets of Haribo gummi bears :wub:.

Anyone remember Sixlets? Little chocolate orbs coated in all different colors, that came packaged in a cylindrical plastic packaging. Simple, but I was addicted to them.

And of course I used to gobble down Bottlecaps (root beer was my favorite), the marshmallow icecream cones, the wax bottles filled with juice, candy cigarettes, bubblegum cigars, Pixie Stix, and those sugar dip things. And the candy dots on paper!

Kids will eat anything!

Anyone remember Sixlets? Little chocolate orbs coated in all different colors, that came packaged in a cylindrical plastic packaging. Simple, but I was addicted to them.

And of course I used to gobble down Bottlecaps (root beer was my favorite), the marshmallow icecream cones, the wax bottles filled with juice, candy cigarettes, bubblegum cigars, Pixie Stix, and those sugar dip things. And the candy dots on paper!

Kids will eat anything!

Bottlecaps - yeah! I'd forgotten about those. I loved the root beer ones too.

I was a big fan of candy and bubble gum cigarettes too - wonder if that had anything to do with my starting to smoke at age 11 (I quit, thank goodness,over 20 years ago). There I was a wee kid emulating my mom (who smoked) by blowing the powdered sugar through the wrapping.

Does anyone remember Ice Cubes?  Little cubes of chocolate wrapped in foil that actually seemed icy cold in you mouth?

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGG, Ice Cubes ! Yes, they were wonderful !! There was a little "5 and Dime/Liquor Store" on my way home from school, and I used to buy Ice Cubes there with my left-over lunch money. They were sooooo good.

And to the poster who was extolling the ribbon Christmas candy, I would add, ALL the old Christmas hard candies that used to be so popular in the late 50's and 60's. The ribbon candy and the cut peppermints with the decorations on the inside (like Christmas trees, wreaths, bells, holly, they were almost like candy canes, but nuggets and multi-color) and ESPECIALLY those filled, thin-shell candies that had jams and chocolate inside with fruit flavors in the shell. Oh, they were good. I look for those Christmas hard candy assortments each year, and I'll be dipped if I can find 'em..........Sure wish I could.........

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Forgot about Sixlets! I think the packaging came in different sizes, but what I remember most are the small cellophane tubes you'd get at Halloween. They held less than a mouthful, so what we'd do is put the whole thing between our teeth and strain out the Sixlets......you know, like whales do with krill!

Jerry

Kansas City, Mo.

Unsaved Loved Ones

My eG Food Blog- 2011

Some of the mini-markets around here still carry Ice Cubes. My daughter brought me one a few weeks ago.

Next time you buy gas check it out if you can afford it after buying gas.