• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nostalgia-Evoking Candy

col klink

Just can not remember the name, but it was sold as a big single blob with coconut and milk chocolate on the outside, then a cherry filling. I want to think marshmallow entered into the picture, but that is just probably fantasy.

You talking 'Cherry Blossom'? Was it in a box?

Marathon Bars

caramel braid dipped in milk chocolate, I hear they have something like it in England...a Curly Wurly..I hope they have em at Heathrow

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Blackballs, three for five cents. There was a black licorice flavored coating and a multicolored marbled interior. They made your tongue turn black, and I loved them.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

Clark's gum -- "Clark -- the sourest man in town." If I could find a pack of Sour Orange, I'd be a blisful 6-year-old at the first chew. CAn't live like that all the time, but a little field trip to my childhood would be nice.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Rock candy on a string.

Little sugar dots on a strip of paper.

Small wax "bottles" filled with syrup.

-- Jeff

"I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members." -- Groucho Marx

Flying saucers- those pastel elliptical wafers filled with tiny colored sugar pellets. They melted in your mouth and left a rice-flavored glue pasted to your hard palate.

Candy necklaces and Smarties. I loved them despite (or because of) the fact that they tasted like baby aspirin.

Sour Patch Kids and Warheads, which we ate until they gave us ulcers.

Circus Peanuts. I was obsessed with their alien texture, the weird, nail varnish and moth-ball flavor, the chalky monotones.

Bonkers... whatever happened to Bonkers?

Now & Laters; so vile and yet so ubiquitous. They smell like rancid wax and are invariably stale, so that they crack into sharp shards as you chew, and slowly soften. And then, there was the burning question that kept me awake at night: Why did anyone eat Now & Later when there was Laffy Taffy?

Pixie Sticks. What were we thinking?

There are more, of course, as they span across my mind like the hardened caramel of youth. Intractable sugar.

Edited by Verjuice (log)

a giant "Smartie" or "Sweet Tart" that took two days to eat

flying saucers ..they were like two Communion hosts stuck together with candy beads inside

Pez

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

On the way home from elementary school (we walked, no buses!) there was a penny candy store, and I remember the wax bottles with syrup, licorice whips, fireballs (I hated those), wax lips, the candy cigarettes (if you snapped off the pink part, you could fool your friends into thinking you were eating chalk :wink: ). Blow pops. Mary Janes.

My favorite "chocolate bar" was a toss up between Skybar and Chunky.

And the great part was that they were popular when the Salvo laundry detergent tablet with the same shape was all the rage. Every time my mom did laundry I got a craving and plotted how to sneak to the dime store and get one. Of course in those days they let 7 year olds walk to the market alone, even in Los Angeles.

Y'know my husband thinks it weird that we counted and divied out the candy as kids at home. I mean there were four of us and one bag of candy. You do the math. My Dad was a welder. Now his dad worked at Wonder Food and they had more brownies and snack foods than they could hold. He told me he got sick of brownies. Glory halelujah that's why I taught myself to bake!

What about those pepto bismol pink wintergreen lozenges Ooo I love those!

And Brach's chocolate stars.

And orange slices and spearmint leaves.

mmmm candee

Oh and I totally loved loved loved Clove Lifesavers. As far as I know they don't make them anymore.

Jeanne--I love fireballs!

And umm, ice cubes the little hazelnut chocolates.

and and and....

Delfa rolls -- ribbons of red licorice. Very chewy and could last you a good part of the afternoon.

Necco wafers

Bit-o-honey

And I'm with Verjuice on the circus peanuts. They had that totally odd texture that dissolved on your tongue.

Someone earlier mentioned the sugar dots on paper. What were we thinking!? 90% of the dots were swallowed complete with paper backing. I also used to dump those giant pixie sticks down in one sitting - wasn't that like 2 c. of colored sugar?

I was a sucker for cracker jack & pink elephant popcorn. I recently tried them lately and for some reason they just didn't satisfy me like they did when I was younger. Why is that?

I miss the little cups of ice cream that came with a little wooden spoon on the lid. :wub:

I was a sucker for cracker jack & pink elephant popcorn.  I recently tried them lately and for some reason they just didn't satisfy me like they did when I was younger.  Why is that? 

I miss the little cups of ice cream that came with a little wooden spoon on the lid.  :wub:

As far as I know, you can still get ice cream like that, can't you?

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

Sugar Babies

Then there was a caramel sucker with a chocolate coating...Sugar Daddy?

I do remember candy necklaces, pixie stix (always ended up with some of it up my nose), red hots, jujubes, and giant jawbreakers. The little wax bottles with liquid in them were just obnoxious, weren't they? But we loved them.

And cancy cigarettes. Wasn't there a bubble gum that came in cigar form?

What didn't I love? I am (errr....I mean was) a candy fiend. Ok - I still am.

I have a candy drawer in our coffee table. It's the closest drawer to my 'usual' seat on the couch. It is COMPLETELY filled with, um - candy.

And - I am NOT joking you - guess what's in there? Those paper dot candies. I saw them, (like a month back) and thought "I remember those! MUST HAVE...MUST HAVE and so with that I bought them. I ate a lot of them, but stopped a few weeks back, and they still reside in my prized drawer.

I also loved Mary Janes, still love them. MMMMM. Candy corn - but that's still available - and usually a halloween treat/staple for me. Licorice show laces - in red please. Jolly rancher sticks. Chunk candy bars. I loved the wax lips - don't ask me why. I do not get the appeal at all today. juju bees - still loved these. I Have pulled out a filling with those before - same with Nips coffee candies (my dentist has the luxury of lecturing me quite often. Poor, poor man...he is completely wasting his time.

My sweet tooth is better than it was when I was a wee one - but I still need a daily sugar fix. I LOVE fruit also - but sometimes it just doesn't 'do it', like candy does.

Candy and cheese, I cold live off of those (and peanut butter too...and sour dough bread....okay okay I will stop).

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

HECK yes there was a bubble gum cigarette. You could blow on it and dust would come flying out the end - purposely manufactured like that (to represent 'smoke').

That soooo wouldnt fly in this day and age. HAHAH

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

Mmmm, warheads. I don't know about ulcers, but I remember eating too many of them and feeling like the surface of my tongue was sloughing off from all the acid. The only thing I disliked was that once you got through the extremely sour surface, it was too sweet.

I always liked sour candy, and I always will. :biggrin:

Pixie stix. Those were always exciting. My mom didn't give us much candy, so what I got from other sources were always fun. I'd probably still eat one or two of those (and then feel horribly horribly nauseous afterwards).

There were some candies my mom woulds sometimes buy (and disperse to us slowly). Like Haribo peaches and Kasugai muscat gummies. I think she preferred to give my sister and I candy that tasted like actual fruit.

I miss the little cups of ice cream that came with a little wooden spoon on the lid.  :wub:

As far as I know, you can still get ice cream like that, can't you?

Yup. I worked at a performing arts day camp for two summers, and at the end of the day they would always hand out ice cream or some other frozen treat. The best days were when they handed out those ice cream cups and when it was chipwich day (which was very infrequent... and unfortunately, as the orchestra hut was farthest from the entrance, it was hard for us workers to get there in time). Some of the other stuff was gross... Sponge Bob sherbert bars with gumball eyes?? Eeeewwww.

Edited by feedmec00kies (log)

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

Sugar Babies and Sugar Daddys were always in my Easter basket. I didn't and still don't care for chocolate. Sugar Daddys were all caramel, Sugar Mamas had the chocolate coating (yuck).

Beemans gum....When they do a re-issue every three years or so I buy several 20 pack boxes to last me till the next re-issue. I still eat it when it's brittle and hard. Love that pepsin flavor.

One guy used to give out coconut flavored hard candy every year on halloween. I bartered my chocolate to get my hands on those.

Chico Sticks (sp?) - Buterfinger like but without the chocolate.

Edited by Susie Q (log)

And the great part was that they were popular when the Salvo laundry detergent tablet with the same shape was all the rage. Every time my mom did laundry I got a craving and plotted how to sneak to the dime store and get one. Of course in those days they let 7 year olds walk to the market alone, even in Los Angeles.

That is so funny!!! they did look like the detergent Salvo!!!!

they were so good I remember them being almost sweet ..almost peppery and quite sour (not the detergent)

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I haven't seen those Ice cream cups in years!!! You mean they are still out there? Not in Northern Ontario...

I guess I will have to check next time I am in the city then! I will have to put it on my things to do list!

Thanks!