• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nostalgia-Evoking Candy

col klink

There used to be (maybe there still is) a West Coast chocolate-covered nougaty bar called U-No. It was longer, flatter and drier than a Three Musketeers, but there was some similarity in general type. Does anyone else remember these? I used to ask people to bring them back for me.

• 7 months later...

Does anyone remember those violet candies? They came wrapped sort of like a pack of gum but square. They were opaque, sugary, violet squares. They tasted like violets. (DUH) I used to see them at the check out counter at some drug stores and the smaller groceries. If I found a stash, I would blow my whole allowance and hoard them. That was a looooong time ago.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

• 2 months later...

Milky Way Midnight. I curse the day my friend in Philadelphia told me about it. Way too sweet, but the dark is great with it. And also the dark Kit Kat.

A third choice is for El Rey Milk chocolat bar.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Goldberg's Peanut Chews (Philly in the hizzouse!) :cool:

Growing up this was one of my favorites. I still remember my mom would buy them in the small box with the pink wrapping.

I have several favorite candy choices by country.

Israel - Egosi: chocolate, hazelnuts, caramel, and nougat. These are amazing frozen. They used to sell them at Wolsk on the lower east side. I would hoard them.

UK - Smarties. Realistically, I know the chocolate is lousy, but it reminds me of being a little kid and traveling throughout the British countryside with my parents. Whenever I'm London, it's one of the first things I buy.

And here at home, its peanut M&Ms. I love the the combination of chocolate and peanuts.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

What Fun! Happened to catch the end of some show on Food Network last night documenting history of and all time favorite candy. If I recall correctly the top five included:

5 M & Ms (popular with soldiers in World War II)

4 Flavored Wax (fake lips, and wax bottles filled with sugar water)

3 Good & Plenties

2 Can't remember - sorry

1 Penny Candy (even though it's now more like 5 & 10 cent candy)

My candy favorites vary. Probably put Peanut M& Ms and Hershey's Milk Chocolate at the top of list. Like a good crunchy Butterfingers every once in a while. And for the holidays, a small box of Godiva chocolates!

Oh, can't forget peppermint lifesavors.

Ah, comfort food of my young adulthood! ONLY ONE????

Back when I treated myself to 2 candy bars after lunch every day (20's) I would go in cycles: Clark Bar. Then Oh Henry. Then Peanut M&M. Then Mounds. Then Almond Joy. Then Snickers. Then Whatchamacallit (hershey thing, peanut crumble in chocolate). Then Hershey chocolate, then hershey almond......Making up for that sense of childhood deprivation :wink: (I wasn't really deprived, my parents just wanted me to have TEETH when I grew up!)

Nowadays I can really taste how much vanilla there is in American chocolate and I don't like it as much. (thankfuilly, because of that dratted metabolism slowdown that hits about age 30 and ramps uip every year....) :shock::blink:

And who could forget World's Finest Chocolate--the band candy we all loved to scarf! I remember when it was $1.00 a bar..... :rolleyes:

For a while I ate Harvest Gold Balance Bars, "sort of" like a Snickers but with more protein. Then I admitted to myself, "it's candy, get over it, it's all candy!!!!"

In my youth, the dark Charleston Chew and a Reggie Bar. Yums.

Blackblackblack Sharfenberger, whenever I can possibly get it, is a special treat.

A grand old standby, that they were kind enough to make in a 7 ouncer (as opposed to sticking a fork in my brother's eyeball to get the only two, teenytiny bars packed in the 'Hershey's Miniatures' bag...) Special Dark. :wub:

:smile:

At the moment, it's the Dove dark chocolate bar...primarily because I love cracking the local White Hen clerk up by referring to it as "my daily dose of blood pressure medicine."

:smile:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

• 4 years later...

What about the little drawstring bags of gold nugget gum?

I had a lovely lovely candy bar for lunch every day, a wondeful double cherry cordial candy bar called "Cherry Humps". Anybody hear of that one? Chicago area?

WigWag

Cuban Lunch

Lik-M-Aid (which I mostly liked for the Lik-a-stix)

Red wax lips (were those actually edible?)

Toblerone

Almond Roca

Toblerone and Almond Roca aren't usually thought of as childhood candies, I suppose, but my parents didn't like crappy chocolate, so those (and Cuban Lunch) were our chocolate treats.

The little envelopes of sherbet powder with the thin black licorice straw for dipping in it. Mojos, wax lips, candy cigarettes, black balls, candy necklaces...

Just can not remember the name, but it was sold as a big single blob with coconut and milk chocolate on the outside, then a cherry filling. I want to think marshmallow entered into the picture, but that is just probably fantasy.