• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Solo diner between Gare Lyon + Porte Doree

juniorworm

Hello,

I will be spending the night of June 1 in Paris at the Hotel de la Porte Doree - located SE of Gare de Lyon. I am hoping to find a restaurant suitable for a solo diner - i.e. a bar area - somewhere not too far away, although I could also take a cab.

Ideally, the restaurant would be a modern casual bistro with a total bill somewhere below 50 euro. Otherwise I am very flexible on cuisine and atmosphere.

Thanks!

I'm not a local so I'm sure others who live in Paris can give a more comprehensive list of suggestions but if it was me I would probably reserve at Les Papilles to sit at the bar. It's a set 4 course menu and was 28,50 euro the last time I was there. The food is excellent and it's very convivial (probably partly because it's so tiny but also I think sharing the same dishes as the people around you often encourages conversation).

It's not exactly near your hotel but it's not too far away either and everywhere in Paris is easy to get to if you use the metro - it's much better than getting a cab. The closest station is Luxembourg.

I'm not a local so I'm sure others who live in Paris can give a more comprehensive list of suggestions but if it was me I would probably reserve at Les Papilles to sit at the bar.

I second Les Papilles. If you take the PC2 (west) at Porte Doree and transfer to the 27 bus (north), you will have almost door-to-door service.

eGullet member #80.

Very interesting; not to hijack your thread. But I too will be in Paris (may 19-22) also seeking advice on similar topic.

This Les Papilles you speak of,

It's a set 4 course menu and was 28,50 euro the last time I was there.

Is that pertaining to lunch or dinner? Also is this a communal table setting restaurant where everyone sits shoulder to shoulder?

Know of any other similar pre-fixe set type restaurants in Paris that are reasonably priced and recommended?

Jim

Is that pertaining to lunch or dinner? Also is this a communal table setting restaurant where everyone sits shoulder to shoulder?

Know of any other similar pre-fixe set type restaurants in Paris that are reasonably priced and recommended?

I'm pleased you asked that question - I didn't know Les Papilles had a website and while I was looking for a photo to point you to so you could see how the tables are arranged I found it - www.lespapillesparis.fr. It brings back lots of good memories. It looks like the price may have gone up to €31 - still a bargain. I've only ever been for dinner but they are open for lunch, possibly with a lighter menu. As you'll see from the photos on the website, it's small but there are separate tables, albeit closely spaced.

Another good prix fixe set menu option is Spring. There's lots of information about Spring on e-gullet and Daniel Rose has a web cam so you can watch a meal being prepared if you want to.

If you're looking for a communal table then La Cave de l’Os à Moelle is a good option.

Another good prix fixe set menu option is Spring. There's lots of information about Spring on e-gullet and Daniel Rose has a web cam so you can watch a meal being prepared if you want to.

I was just told by a friend who called Spring night before last that they don't have any openings until July. I guess that could change - but that's what I've heard.

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

Hello,

I will be spending the night of June 1 in Paris at the Hotel de la Porte Doree - located SE of Gare de Lyon. I am hoping to find a restaurant suitable for a solo diner - i.e. a bar area - somewhere not too far away, although I could also take a cab.

Ideally, the restaurant would be a modern casual bistro with a total bill somewhere below 50 euro. Otherwise I am very flexible on cuisine and atmosphere.

Thanks!

Serendipity strikes again. As opposed to the advice above, which is good, I was thinking counterintuitively - going east to St Mande and trying the recall the resto out there I had an OK meal at and just saw featured again last month, which I thought I'd go back to and up pops Francois Simon this AM in Figaro who had a splendid meal of pork ears, stuffed cabbage and crème caramel in the company of Christian Millau, who loves this place - Les Coteaux, 8, rue Jeanne- d’Arc, Saint- Mandé, 01 48 08 74 81, count on 20 € a la carte. It's on the 46 bus from the Porte Doree; I've walked it (800 meters or so to Jeanne d'Arc) on a nice day.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris