• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Videos on the Web

takadi

As the 21st century chugs along, we find simple video sharing sites like youtube evolving into a massive social network of videos, sharing ideas, humor, stories, and things you would never find on TV.

What I've noticed is the appearance of home chefs showing their skills and recipes for the entire world to see. The stark difference between these youtube chefs and the ones you often find on TV is the raw sense of reality and personalization. The low quality webcam recordings, the lack of flashy music and special effects, the one-on-one environmental settings, and the customized formats of their videos and editing, and the open comment section all provide a down to earth and personal connection with the cook and the viewers. No longer is the chef a untouchable entity but a teacher and a friend right in your very own kitchen. And without the pressures of ratings and TV spots, he or she has absolute freedom in his own domain.

The sweet korean lady "Maangchi" shows you step by step how to make homemade kimchi. The wise-cracking Chef Jon of "foodwishes" shows you his very own version of steak au poivre or fried chicken. The giant teddy bear "jaybobed" teaches you homegrown cast iron cooked southern delicacies. The list goes on and on.

The implications of youtube replacing television as we know it are already on its way, with major news stories breaking through youtube videos, soldiers communicating via vlog about their adventures in Iraq, and whole cultures and memes being formed virtually. And the greatest part about this literal media revolution is that it is almost entirely controlled by the people, for the people. It is truly American.

Feel free to list your Youtube channel if you have one, but from my observations, egulleters are some of the most talented cooks I've ever seen. I would love to see users from egullet make their own Youtube video blog and show off their talents and personal flair

I haven't really browsed YouTube extensively, but it sounds like a great idea for eGulleters who do to post their favorites here.

Edited by John DePaula (log)

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

I've not been a YouTube viewer so was not aware of all the food related videos there. Since reading your post SEVERAL HOURS ago, I have checked out some of those that you mentioned and more. Looks like there is even more excuses for me to sitting at my computer and not cleaning my house!!!!!! Some incredible talent out there. Think I may get more from YouTube than FoodTV!!!!! I do like seeing something made. I can read recipes but sometimes they seem too daunting. There's something about seeing it done that simplifies it somehow.

Donna

As the 21st century chugs along, we find simple video sharing sites like youtube evolving into a massive social network of videos, sharing ideas, humor, stories, and things you would never find on TV.

What I've noticed is the appearance of home chefs showing their skills and recipes for the entire world to see. The stark difference between these youtube chefs and the ones you often find on TV is the raw sense of reality and personalization. The low quality webcam recordings, the lack of flashy music and special effects, the one-on-one environmental settings, and the customized formats of their videos and editing, and the open comment section all provide a down to earth and personal connection with the cook and the viewers. No longer is the chef a untouchable entity but a teacher and a friend right in your very own kitchen. And without the pressures of ratings and TV spots, he or she has absolute freedom in his own domain.

The sweet korean lady "Maangchi" shows you step by step how to make homemade kimchi. The wise-cracking Chef Jon of "foodwishes" shows you his very own version of steak au poivre or fried chicken. The giant teddy bear "jaybobed" teaches you homegrown cast iron cooked southern delicacies. The list goes on and on.

The implications of youtube replacing television as we know it are already on its way, with major news stories breaking through youtube videos, soldiers communicating via vlog about their adventures in Iraq, and whole cultures and memes being formed virtually. And the greatest part about this literal media revolution is that it is almost entirely controlled by the people, for the people. It is truly American.

Feel free to list your Youtube channel if you have one, but from my observations, egulleters are some of the most talented cooks I've ever seen. I would love to see users from egullet make their own Youtube video blog and show off their talents and personal flair

You tube can be the biggest discovery since nickelodean, or in this case NASCAR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD9yTPEOtXk

Future Food - our new television show airing 3/30 @ 9pm cst:

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tv/future-food/

Hope you enjoy the show! Homaro Cantu

Chef/Owner of Moto Restaurant

www.motorestaurant.com

White truffle oil??? I hope that car has delicious emissions! A nice twist on biofuel that's for sure.

Btw, here are a list of my favorite youtube chefs (some of them have either retired from youtube or gone on to better ventures)

ChefJeanPierre

BBQtalk

BarbequeWeb (it's all about the voice!)

wokfusion

WinelibraryTV (they have their own site I think)

egeefay

peter691107

chefbalcer

thebrewdudes

The foodwishes guy used to be called "learn2cook" but he upgraded from that and decided to turn off his comment section and switch everyting to his blog. He now has his own "show" on about.com. I kind of liked his old videos better, it's obvious that he is trying to advertise his blog in the new ones and it kind of takes away from the video.

I save so much money on cooking lessons, I have learned almost everything from these guys!

Edited by takadi (log)

I added a video to help people cook beans because I was getting tired of repeating the same thing over and over but it's now got over 5,000 views! It's a good tool.

Link is in my sig line.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

mmmmmm.....i can almost smell your beans cooking, Steve aka Rancho!

meanwhile, has anyone seen the paul mcCartney (yes THAT paul mcCartney) video of him mashing potatoes? hysterical. just tap in paul mcCartney and mashed potatoes into you tube and the video will pop up.

marlena

2008 International Year of the Potatoes as declared by The United Nations

Conference and international recipe competition to be held shortly in Peru

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

• 2 weeks later...

Way back, AOL and Compuserve were competing companies that were marketing dial up information access. These companies tightly controlled all usage and tried to charge a fortune for limited services. Along came the Internet that allowed individuals control and the rest is history. Now YouTube is doing the same thing in many areas, cooking and food preperation being one of them. I saw a Japanese chef demonstrate how to cut up an entire yellowtail tuna. That's something you won't find on the Food Network. Instead of boring media talent on the Food Network, I now go to YouTube.-Dick

• 2 months later...

I started shooting local chef/cook stories 6 years ago with the "build it and they will come" dream. Nobody came -with money- but I keep shooting the stories because (I believe) they need to be told - sans celeb chef. Eventually I got enough side jobs shooting video to quit line cooking and keep the restaurant docs going.

http://www.youtube.com/docnoproductions

Edited by LineDog (log)

I've been watching more food related videos on the internet. I think it's great that more chefs are making videos online. Too many times I feel that Food Network puts chefs on for looks/personality, instead of knowledge or skill. This allows people that have a great deal of knowledge to share their ideas.

Some of these videos are starting to get high quality, as well. I found these videos on Youtube when I was reading about a newer Japanese restaurant in town. More ad like than cooking show, but the food photography is easily as good as Food Network.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gav2bl-x2g

Also, has anyone checked out iFood.tv or Tastetv.com? They have nothing but food related videos, some of them are pretty good.

• 3 months later...
I've been watching more food related videos on the internet. I think it's great that more chefs are making videos online. Too many times I feel that Food Network puts chefs on for looks/personality, instead of knowledge or skill. This allows people that have a great deal of knowledge to share their ideas.

Some of these videos are starting to get high quality, as well. I found these videos on Youtube when I was reading about a newer Japanese restaurant in town. More ad like than cooking show, but the food photography is easily as good as Food Network.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gav2bl-x2g

Also, has anyone checked out iFood.tv or Tastetv.com? They have nothing but food related videos, some of them are pretty good.

there's also www.devour.tv, www.uncooked.tv, www.foodtube.net

• 5 months later...
  • 5 years later...