• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ok, fellow egulleters I'm craving khao kah moo really bad. This is one dish I haven't tried to make myself here in the States. One I'm not sure if I can find the right cut of pork, two I'm afraid of how time consuming it's going to be, and three.... I'm just afraid! I think mostly I'm afraid I'm going to love eating this so much I'll balloon into a mini tank and spend way too much time cooking. I have a feeling though that it would be a good product to freeze and keep in the freezer. I do have access to pickled mustard greens (the traditional side) so let's get some porky goodness going.

(This post was entirely inspired by Peter Green's reply to the Chiang Mai thread with his pictures of pork, pork, and er.. pork. Damn you Peter!)

Edited because spell checking is a good thing.

Edited by OnigiriFB (log)

1 pig leg, front with feet

as needed Oil

about a gallon of water

3 ea Star anise

1 pieces cinnamon stick (2 inches long)

1/4 cup Garlic, pounded

1 1/2 teaspoons pepper seeds, pounded

1/4 cup black soy sauce

1/3 cups soy sauce

to taste tablespoons sugar

to taste salt

lots of pickled mustard greens

plenty of fresh greens

about a dozen hard boiled eggs, whole

lotsa chilli sauce

and of course khao

just dont take any fat or skin off, for that "aroi" taste

cook it forever better if you add a little cartilage to it for that chewy taste

khao kah moo is my fav eat it about 3 times a week at or to kor market in bangkok (sp?)

Ok, fellow egulleters I'm craving khao kah moo really bad. This is one dish I haven't tried to make myself here in the States. One I'm not sure if I can find the right cut of pork, two I'm afraid of how time consuming it's going to be, and three.... I'm just afraid! I think mostly I'm afraid I'm going to love eating this so much I'll balloon into a mini tank and spend way too much time cooking. I have a feeling though that it would be a good product to freeze and keep in the freezer. I do have access to pickled mustard greens (the traditional side) so let's get some porky goodness going.

(This post was entirely inspired by Peter Green's reply to the Chiang Mai thread with his pictures of pork, pork, and er.. pork. Damn you Peter!)

oh yeah dont eat it the first day, let it sit for day or two its worth the wait

1 pig leg, front with feet

as needed Oil

about a gallon of water

3 ea Star anise

1 pieces cinnamon stick (2 inches long)

1/4 cup Garlic, pounded

1 1/2 teaspoons pepper seeds, pounded

1/4 cup black soy sauce

1/3 cups soy sauce

to taste tablespoons sugar

to taste salt

lots of pickled mustard greens

plenty of fresh greens

about a dozen hard boiled eggs, whole 

lotsa chilli sauce

and of course khao

just dont take any fat or skin off, for that "aroi" taste

cook it forever better if you add a little cartilage to it for that chewy taste

khao kah moo is my fav eat it about 3 times a week at or to kor market in bangkok (sp?)