• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Zagat 2003 Ratings, London

When I visited the Zagat website, the left-hand-side column indicated that new survey results for London are "just in" in October. So, I subscribed (agreeing to pay $14.95 unless I cancel within 14 days) and received the following rankings, which I believe to have been revised from those I recall for last year. I am not certain these are 2003 rankings, but the high position of La Trompette, for example, and the rating of Gordon Ramsay Claridge's appear to reflect revised food ratings.

Obviously, Zagat ratings are very flawed. However, I thought members might find the below ratings amusing. :laugh:

Food Rating of 28: Deservedly, Gordon Ramsay RHR

Food Rating of 27:

Le Gavroche

La Trompette (#3; query whether the written guide has the same ordering when food ratings are the same)

Nobu

Le Manoir Aux Quat' Saisons

Petrus

Gordon Ramsay, Claridge's

Food Rating of 26:

Chez Bruce

Waterside Inn

Ubon

The Square -- This restaurant should be rated better

Richard Corrigan at The Lindsay House

Monsieur Max

La Tante Claire -- This restaurant should be rated *much* better

China Dream (?) -- In Hampstead :hmmm:

The Capital

Club Gascon

Mossimann's

Obviously, Zagat ratings are very flawed. However, I thought members might find the below ratings amusing. :laugh:

I love these threads!

How can Mossimans be listed, isn't it a members club?

Based on my most recent experiences Chez Bruce, Waterside Inn, and La Tante Claire should all be shifted up a notch. (I'm glad to see recent reports praising LTC, I was beginning to think that I was wrong, the 2 meals I have eaten there were among the best. Interestingly, the second meal was at the newer premises when it had dropped a star and was the better of the meals.

Richard Corrigan at Lindsay House may rate highly but when it is lacking the "Richard Corrigan" it is a very sorry restaurant indeed! I'm willing to concede on Waterside inn, based on the most recent reports and articles I have read. :sad:

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"

Nobu affiliate Ubon is rated highly too. In my mind, other over-rated restaurants in the list are: La Trompette (it's good, but not that good); Petrus (at most a 26); Gordon Ramsay Claridge's (again, at most a 26 and a lower rating would be justified); and China Dream (I have never heard of this restaurant).

In Los Angeles, if you register on the site, they offer you the same deal for $9.95. Generally, LA Zagat seems to lag local critical opinion by 18 months-2 years. And, of course, certain basic popular places like Cheesecake Factory (undeservedly) rate way up there.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.