• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

crust for a soursop (guanabana) cheesecake

I am making a soursop (or guanabana) cheesecake for tomorrow...the filling I am ok with and will just use my favoirte cheesecake recipe

I am quite stuck on the crust and topping for ideas?

(if you do not know this fruit ...this is not a great discription but better than I can do I guess soursop )

I actually was thinking of chocolate cookies for the crust ...but wonder if it would over run the delicate flavor of this fruit?

coconut maybe? if so what would you mix the coconut with to make a good crust ..

I am totally coming up empty here

help?

thank you so much in advance

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Crushed Nice biscuits would give a delicate coconut flavor and texture (crumb crust), or you could do a thin spongecake layer crust a la Junior's (the famous Brooklyn cheesecake).

I am making a soursop (or guanabana)  cheesecake for tomorrow...the filling I am ok with and will just use my favoirte cheesecake recipe

I am quite stuck on the crust and topping for ideas?

(if you do not know this fruit ...this is not a great discription but better than I can do I guess soursop )

I actually was thinking of chocolate cookies for the crust ...but wonder if it would over run the delicate flavor of this fruit?

coconut maybe? if so what would you mix the coconut with to make a good crust ..

I am totally coming up empty here

help?

thank you so much in advance

Possibly a chopped macadamia nut and crumb crust. Let us know how it turns out. What's the recipe?

Buen provecho, Panosmex

If you use coconut you could mix it into a graham cracker crust recipe. Also, Maria cookie crumbs come to mind, keeping with the latin theme, maybe with coconut also, or with nuts, or with lime or lemon zest. I like the zest and cookie idea. I wouldn't use chocolate because I also think it would overwhelm the guanabana. I've had guanabana, but never with chocolate. You could eat some of the fruit with chocolate to see what that's like. Let us know what you end up doing!

Hummingbirdkiss,

When I lived in Puerto Rico, I had a guanabana tree. I let the fruit ripen on the branch and waited for it to either drop or split open for optimum flavor/sweetness.

I used the pulp for popsicles, juice, smoothees, etc. The flavor is so unique that it's hard to come up with a crust for your cheesecake, but may I suggest one made out of simple crushed vanilla wafers with some lime squeezed into the mix? Guanabana and lime go very well together. As for the topping, thinly sliced mango dipped in lime goes well together in my mind. If you spread the slices in a way that leaves space in the center, 3 strawberries sliced and fanned out, propped up against each other with the leaves still on, would look amazing... and taste good too!

Somehow, chocolate - although among my favorites things to eat - doesn't quite mesh with the flavor of guanabana... to me, at least.

Now, if you decide to make a parcha cheesecake (passionfruit), that would be a great candidate to combine with chocolate.

Sandra

Thank you so much for the suggestions! I can try to post a picture later when I put this cake on a serving plate ...

you guys are great! Tropicalfox we had a soursop tree in our yard in Panama as well .. the trees are massive and so are the fruits! the flavor is so comforting to me ..hard to explain and I loved the texture of the meat of it ...

soursop is by far one of my favorite fruits ...you can use Goya's frozen puree for this cake... I love those they are very reasonable in price..store well because they are flat ...and as close as I can get to some of these fruits (unless when folks travel they make room in the suitcase for me! or when I travel I bring an extra suitcase!)

Macadamia nuts would have been perfect! so would the mango topping ..I wish I had some on hand I would have done that ... ... I took the other suggestions and went with a butter cookie and coconut crust ...so thank you so much I was just coming up blank ..and all of you are right chocolate was not the correct answer here :raz: (see why I need you?)

I made a little test cake it was perfect enough to share! so here is the recipe ..and if you want to work a soursop into a cheesecake you will not be disapointed it goes perfectly! ..I hope you will try this recipe it is nothing special just a basic recipe for cheesecake not unlike many I am sure posted all over the place ..however after many trial and error I finally wrote this down and want to share it just in case something about it is just enough different for you to enjoy!

the crust

3/4 cup flaked unsweetened coconut

3/4 cup butter cookies

1/4 tsp of fresh ground mace

3 tbl butter

grind it up in the food processor and pat into the a springform pan bake for 10 min at 350 ..cool the crust while you make the filling

my last cheesecake was a disaster of cracks! so I reread all the advice I was given about not over mixing, slow cool down ect ect ..well this time it had one small crack and I think it is just because I moved it to the cooling rack too soon ...and personally I don't care about one small crack because I put some soursop mousse on top!

oh and you can use any fruits you like ...fresh strawberries or raspberries ...I have used roasted rhubarb, passion fruits, guava, avocado makes a wonderful cake ...and my favorite banana and rum!

Filling

Everything should be at room temperature

beat together well

2 1/2 lbs of cream cheese

1 cup of vanilla sugar

then add 3 tablespoons of flour

1/2 cup coconut milk mixed with 1/2 cup of crema or sour cream

1-1/2 cups frozen soursop puree (or pureed fruits of your choice)

freshly squeezed juice of one lime

beat them well ...

then with a fork gently whisk your eggs and yolks together (do not beat them)

4 whole eggs 2 extra yolks (I use jumbo)

stir with a wooden spoon into the cream cheese mixture just until incorporated and smooth (no over mixing)

pour into the prepared pan (you should have enough filling and crust to make a mini pan to try)

bake at 450 for 12 min then reduce the oven to 200 degrees for one hour...then turn the oven off and let rest in there with the door cracked for another 30 min or so

when the cake is cool top with

soursop mousse (this is the spackle that saved my last cheesecake thank you!)

1 8 oz package of cream cheese

1/3 cup heavy cream

1/2 cup soursop (or other fruit puree)

1/3 cup of vanilla sugar

juice of 1/2 lime

while beating on high ...whip the cream cheese....add the whipping cream...add the fruit puree ....sugar...lime juice when fluffy top your cake with it

sprinkle with toasted coconut for the garnish

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet