• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gin and Tonic – Finetuned

knblue

4 hours ago, rustwood said:

I am not sure if this is on topic, but I have been enjoying frozen gin and tonics this summer.  The only tonic syrup I could locate was Jack Rudy.  I also use the orange bitters, although I am not sure they aren't completely lost in the lime juice.

Small Hand Foods makes two different tonic syrups.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

13 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Small Hand Foods makes two different tonic syrups

My local Total Wine only carries the regular Small Hand tonic syrup.  I've used it with great success for the frozen G&T's that @rustwood mentioned - they are very refreshing!

I'll keep an eye out for the other Small Hand tonic  Have you tried it?

13 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

My local Total Wine only carries the regular Small Hand tonic syrup.  I've used it with great success for the frozen G&T's that @rustwood mentioned - they are very refreshing!

I'll keep an eye out for the other Small Hand tonic  Have you tried it?

I have an unopened bottle but I have yet to try it in a gin and tonic.  Maybe I should test it just for science.  I purchased the tonic syrup primarily because @feste once offered free shipping on any order (in my case orgeat, of course) that included it.  And with the quality of her syrups, how could one go wrong?

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I couldn't help it and I want to share my opinion about the topic. If you've enjoyed your G&T so far then you probably wouldn't want to add other ingredients into it. I like to keep G&T in the form Gin, Tonic and Garnish. What are the things that might cause you a bad experience with G&T? First of all it might have been poorly served. Proper serve would be large highball glass or balloon glass filled with a lots of ice and Ratio 1:3 Gin to Tonic Water which may vary slightly depending on particular gin brand. Preferences of gin brand depends on a personal taste but I  agree with Fever-tree tonic water as a best on the market. Garnish is not a matter of either lime or lemon, one of the great garnishes is slice of pink grapefruit which works well with a majority of gins, garnish should not overpower but compliment G&T and lastly good quality gin does not need squeezed lime inside.

These are my personal preferences so maybe somebody is gonna be inspired by that:)

I find tonic water -- even premium less-sweet tonic water -- to be too sweet without a fair amount of lime. I also prefer more gin than 1:3. There is obviously lots of room for personal taste.

I never order a G&T in a bar unless I'm desperate. It will invariably be too sweet and too weak.

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

1 hour ago, EvergreenDan said:

I find tonic water -- even premium less-sweet tonic water -- to be too sweet without a fair amount of lime. I also prefer more gin than 1:3. There is obviously lots of room for personal taste.

I never order a G&T in a bar unless I'm desperate. It will invariably be too sweet and too weak.

Funny. The G&T is one of my "safe" drinks to order. I add plenty of lime and am usually happy. It's also what I get on planes! :)

I am a 1:2 person, except with overproof gin where I add a bit more tonic water to compensate for the alcohol content.

2 hours ago, FrogPrincesse said:

So what's your default safe order @EvergreenDan? Shot of whiskey? :)

Scan backbar / well for Campari. If found, then Negroni. Eat the inevitable orange slice, usually peel and all.

If no Campari, then scan for some reasonable rye. If found, then Manhattan. Discard the inevitable fluorescent cherry.

If no reasonable rye (and, no Canadian Club doesn't count), then Martini "with vermouth". If given a choice of gin, pick something high proof to compensate for the watery ice they are about to use. Eat the pathetic olive while pondering the age of the bottle of dry vermouth pulled from the back row of the back bar.

If too scared to order the above, then "gin with a splash of tonic"? Ask for extra desiccated microscopic 16ths of a lime.

• Like 2

Kindred Cocktails | Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Negroni or Manhattan both assume that they have a decent vermouth on hand. You are taking a huge gamble!

Plus the most basic bars will have no idea how to make a Negroni (or a decent Manhattan), so you will have to guide them through the (simple) steps, which is far from ideal if they are busy... I used to try to walk them through the process, equal part Negroni or 2:1 Manhattan with bitters, and then when I thought we were all good, I would watch in horror as they would start shaking the drink in front of my eyes! I've since given up.

G&T has a lot less room for error.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FrogPrincesse said:

and then when I thought we were all good, I would watch in horror as they would start shaking the drink in front of my eyes! I've since given up.

:D

even if they have vermouth, it would be martini rosso 95% of the time which is, 90% of the time, being stored for longer than it should be, and not in a fridge obviously

so campari soda is my safe order in a standard bar

• Like 2