• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ming Tsai's books

mcohen

I have Ming's Master Recipes and have made several. They work out well and have been very delicious. His focus on what you can do with the first sauce down the line

is great as you have many dishes for a couple days.

"You can't miss with a ham 'n' egger......"

Ervin D. Williams 9/1/1921 - 6/8/2004

Not to rain havoc on anything, but I think if he got it published and all..they probably do work..

Though don't quote me, just a theory.

if only that were true as a general rule. celeb cookbooks are notorious for having recipes printed untested.

i got the blue ginger cookbook when it came out ... wow, looking at amazon, that was nearly 9 years ago. where does the time go?

i haven't cooked much from it lately, but at the time i remember it having some issues with typos, and recipes just not being very accurately translated from a restaurant world to a home world -- cooking times being shorter than they'll really take you and things like that.

that said, if you can adjust for that (like, reading the recipe and knowing you'll have to roast that pork loin for half an hour and not the 10 minutes the recipe suggests), everything tasted really good.

i don't have his newer book, so i can't tell you about that.

I have both of his cookbooks & have tried around 10 recipes in all from both.  Some of them require a bit of time, but we've been very happy with the results.  They definitely do work.

That's good to hear. I was watching his PBS show, Simply Ming, and I have to admit, I was skeptical about those dishes- some of the combinations of eastern and western ingredients simply didn't sound too appealing.

Not to rain havoc on anything, but I think if he got it published and all..they probably do work..

Though don't quote me, just a theory.

Clearly someone who's never tried to cook a recipe from Larousse Gastronomique before. Great encylopaedia of French cookery, absolutely unworkable as a cookbook.

In the UK the River Cafe cookbook is also notorious for its recipe for "Chocolate Nemesis", a wonderful-looking flourless chocolate cake which never actually set if you followed the published recipe...

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!