• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shelf Life of Mushrooms

JimH

I was overly ambitious last weekend and bought a package of four Portobello mushroom caps. They are still in the package in the frig, how long will they keep? How can I tell if they have gone over? Will they smell funny or just get up and walk out?

The top of the cap will be slimey and will have changed colour. They will not be worth eating in my opinion :smile:

Smell and taste are in fact but a single composite sense, whose laboratory is the mouth and its chimney the nose. - Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

The top of the cap will be slimey and will have changed colour. They will not be worth eating in my opinion :smile:

Thanks! If I open the package and they are still good, will a marinade stop arrest any decomposition? I need to stretch them one more day.

Edited: for an unexpressed thought.

Edited by JimH (log)

If they are not slimy, taken them out of the package, put in a brown paper bag and/or loosely wrap in paper towling. Place back in fridge (do not use plastic wrap). Don't worry of they shrivel a bit.

How were you planning to use them? for many recipes, cooking in advance could work with little dimunition in flavor, appearance.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

If they are not slimy, taken them out of the package, put in a brown paper bag and/or loosely wrap in paper towling. Place back in fridge (do not use plastic wrap). Don't worry of they shrivel a bit.

How were you planning to use them? for many recipes, cooking in advance could work with little dimunition in flavor, appearance.

I was going to grill them on the my kettle. I usually rub them with olive oil, crushed garlic, salt & pepper. I thought I'd experiment different flavors but I ran out of time.

ETA: They are in a paper bag with no sign of sliminess or ammonia odor.

Thanks guys!

Edited by JimH (log)

JimH~

Ick. :wacko:

Old mushrooms (not really 'spoiled' slimy ones, just those past their prime) are not something that I'd grill. Maybe cut in little pieces and throw in spaghetti sauce, but not showcase the way you are intending.

Spring for some new fresh springy ones for your lovely sounding dish. You'll thank me for it :wink: (esp if you are feeding other people....)

Hmmmm.  That's a challange in itself, maybe I'll just deepsix them.

I dunno... I find that supermarket mushrooms remain quite fresh if left in their original packaging for quite a few days. I suspect you would be quite alarmed if you learned how long they remain in the supermarket that way!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Hmmmm.  That's a challange in itself, maybe I'll just deepsix them.

I dunno... I find that supermarket mushrooms remain quite fresh if left in their original packaging for quite a few days. I suspect you would be quite alarmed if you learned how long they remain in the supermarket that way!

I completely agree with this! dont toss them they are most likely fine

when mushrooms are off it is obvious not something you will miss

if meat of the mushroom is firm and the gills are still tight and intact they are fine

portobellos are pretty tough mushrooms

good luck

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

I routinely keep supermarket mushrooms in my refrigerator for up to two weeks. I do my main shopping once a week and typically buy two boxes of mushrooms. Sometimes I use them that week, in which case I buy more the next week. But sometimes the dining-out schedule, cravings, etc., intervene and one or both boxes don't get used.

For the first 7-10 days of their lives, I'll use them for just about anything. After that, when they start to brown out and get questionable, I just slice them up, give them a hard saute and add them to tomato sauce, a mixed-vegetable frittata, etc.

I find that as they get older it becomes useful to trim the stems more aggressively (the ends of the stems seem to go bad first) before cooking, and it's certainly possible that some of the mushrooms will need to be discarded -- but in most cases a little trimming is all that's needed and it's certainly not necessary to throw out a whole box just because of a couple of bad ones (you wouldn't do that with, say, grapes).

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I didn't throw them out and they looked and smelled OK last night. Unfortunately my plans have changed yet again so I won't have a chance to grill them this weekend. I'm leaning towards mushroom soup at this point. There are days I'd like to move to another state and live under an assumed name.

I do understand Jim!

why not precook them and freeze them then when you fee like it make the soup?

You mean saute them with onions & garlic, then cool & freeze?

I found a Cream of Portabello mushroom soup here. I think I can knock this out tonight, just need the heavy cream & sherry. It should keep until Sunday evening or later in the frig, right?

I found a Cream of Portabello mushroom soup here.  I think I can knock this out tonight, just need the heavy cream & sherry.  It should keep until Sunday evening or later in the frig, right?

That looks good. I'd probably make it to the point where you are going to simmer the mushrooms in broth and cream, and only simmer them in broth. Refrigerate. Then, Sunday night, add the cream, simmer a little more and proceed. That'll give you a chance to get the sherry and cream, and you won't have to worry about anything (dairy) spoiling. :wink: