• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help for Mothers' Day.....

Lan4Dawg

Fuss & I are inviting several little old ladies (do not tell them I said that!) as well as some not so little old ladies over for Mothers' Day. Dinner of grilled rack of lamb and pork loin for the main course w/ assorted veg, &c. will be served relatively early after noon. Wine will be w/ dinner but what I need is a little libation for when every one gathers--preferably wine or champagne--even sherry--based (did I mention that they were mostly little old ladies?) since it will be relatively early after noon and the last thing I need is a bunch of soused mothers. I did kirs and kir royales one year, bellinis one year, moscato, and would prefer not to repeat.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

I posted some recipes here a while back that you might like (by the way, the strawberry version is now called the Ballet Russe). My aunts and female cousins all loved them.

If you want something easier, try a quarter ounce homemade grenadine and a healthy shot of bitters in champagne. Really good, and a beautiful color as well.

Whiskey Sours were my mom's favorite; she made them by the pitcher full. I loved them as a kid (drank the dregs, OOOH, lemonade!) and still do now, but very rarely! Scotch sours are good, too. HTH!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Slip them a Sidecar. They'll remember them from their misspent youths, with a closet full of formals for going out dancing. (I'm channeling my beloved MIL here.)

Or a mimosa-style drink using mango puree. I'm sure this has a real name, but in our house it's a "Maggie's Toes Curling."

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

It felt slightly lazy since I was previously considering doing Corpse Revivers, but at a brunch baby shower I threw recently I did St. Germain (1.5 oz), prosecco (2 oz) and soda (2 oz) with a lemon twist. It was incredibly easy to prepare and serve by the pitcher and everyone loved it. Nice and light, hard to get wasted on this stuff. Although believe me, I tried my best.

Thanks all for the suggestions. Daisy the St. Germain cocktail sounds absolutely delightful and would be perfect except I can not get St. Germain here in GA. I wonder if Creme de Violette would work? hmmmm......

I also like the idea of Pimm's Cups except Fuss despises Pimm's. She says it tastes like beef broth. Where she gets that I am not certain.

Whiskey Sours might work and I will have to do some thinkin' on that option. I like the mango puree and think I have some mango syrup some where that would work well w/ some prosecco or bubbly. I especially like the Ballet Russe. That might just work. We will see.

Thanks again

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.