• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sunday Lunch in Manhattan?

Busboy

Largely looking for a place to kick back with an old friend whose path I will cross as we travel from and to different places on the same weekend. Food quality is important, but not as important as the ability to kick back for an hour and a half without some frantic waiter trying to get us out so they can seat the next table. When I thought I was going to be in town on Saturday, I thought the front room of the Grammercy Tavern would be perfect, if towards the upper edge of the budget. But we are happy to eat any food other than Pizza (I'm planning a stop in New Haven later in the day for that). Funky, weird, off-the-beaten-track places especially welcome.

All suggestions appreciated

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Just now got the estimate for the car repairs. Lets just say that -- while I'm always open to a good lunch, whatever the cost -- there's a new sense of frugality in the air.

What must one wear to Aquavit or Perry Street? I am always in favor of dressing well, but I'm road-tripping and so is my friend, so we'll be in jeans, most likely.

I'm on the pavement

you can wear anything you want to PS.

$25 for any two items from a list of about 20, plus dessert.  $5 glasses of wine.

That sounds like a winner. When you first mentioned it I clicked on the wrong menu on their website and thought I was looking at $50+ per person (I am incapable of going to a nice place and ordering just the cheap stuff) but the $24 is well within budget. Are they "small plates?"

I'm on the pavement

you can wear anything you want to PS.

$25 for any two items from a list of about 20, plus dessert.  $5 glasses of wine.

That sounds like a winner. When you first mentioned it I clicked on the wrong menu on their website and thought I was looking at $50+ per person (I am incapable of going to a nice place and ordering just the cheap stuff) but the $24 is well within budget. Are they "small plates?"

some are, some aren't. many are on the dinner menu.

some are apps, some are basically entrees in size (and you can order two of those if you would like)

there's really nothing else like it offered on the weekends.

I have been persuaded -- reservations made and I'm washing all of my black clothing and having my attitude cleaned and pressed so that I'll look like a proper New Yorker. :wink:

I'm on the pavement